Screen capture tools: A screen capture tool is a kind of software that can be used to takes snapshots, record videos, and capture audio. These are important aspects that are often made use of by many people. In this regard, using the right software can really help you in capturing your desired data and importing it on your laptop or computer.
Want to express your feelings and impress your friends at the same time? Send GIFs! Capturing an amazing moment or just want to share something funny with your mates? Gif Me Now is the best Screen Capture Tool to do it. Forget about the old and slow record-then-upload approach. Just capture it and let others react.
Screen capture tool is a piece of software that makes the process of taking screenshots and capturing the information displayed on your computer screen much easier. Not only you can use it to take screenshots but also record what you see on your screen, so if something on your screen needs some specific wording or content, you can do that easily as well. Information writing help
Is it easy to take screenshots on your laptop? Screen capture tools can make screen recording, full-screen capture, and more easier. If you are an amateur blogger or work in creative field like graphic design, taking regular screenshots of your work can help you show off the progress when working on a project.
What Is Screen Recording Software?
Screen recording software can record the entirety (or portions) of your computer or mobile screen.
The recording can include everything from your taps and cursor movements to typing a URL into your browser to help people learn what to do and how to do it.
Audio narration is available, and sometimes annotation is also offered as part of a tool’s package.
However, no two screen recording tools are alike. Some screen recording tools can’t save the recorded footage for various formats or export it to popular video platforms like YouTube directly.
Others may have the capability to do all of that, but might be missing a feature or two. For example, not every screen recording application comes with an HD screen recorder.
As such, you should pay attention to its capabilities before downloading or installing screen recording software on your device.
It’s also crucial to evaluate your own recording needs. Perhaps you don’t need to record in HD. Maybe you’ve recently purchased video hosting and can do without a YouTube export option. The best screen recorder for you will be the one that meets your specific needs.
What Is a Good Screen Recorder?
Our compilation of screen recording tools ranges from browser-based software to minimalistic desktop apps. Each of the picks meets the following basic criteria:
- Is easy-to-use
- Records the entire screen, a particular area, or one window
- Lets users annotate the recorded footage
- Includes system and microphone audio
- Captures footage from external sources
- Has built-in export options
It’s also worth mentioning that many of the software options come with HD recording capabilities. However, it’s important to know that HD files take a lot of time to upload. If you’re looking to quickly uploaded standard-quality videos on the web, HD is not a must-have.
Desktop Screen Recorder vs. Online Screen Recorder
Offline functionality is the key difference between the two types.
While desktop screen recorders can work without an active connection, online screen recorders require you to have stable internet.
This is why an online screen recorder isn’t the best of options when it comes to capturing gameplay. However, if you’re only looking to make a tutorial, they should work just fine.
1. OBS Studio
OBS or Open Broadcaster Software is a free screen video recorder that offers both recording and streaming in high definition, with no limits on the length of your videos.
The desktop software allows you to choose the part of the screen you want to capture, but it also gives an option to record the entire screen.
Customizable hotkeys help control the recording, and an audio mixer allows you to produce videos with smoothly recorded sound.
Apart from the intuitive screencasting features, OBS is equipped with live-streaming capabilities that you won’t find in the default screen recorders of major operating systems.
You can stream live on YouTube Gaming and Twitch, save projects, and convert your footage in FLV format.
All of this makes OBS one of the best free screen recording software options to try in 2021.
Supported OS: Linux, Mac, Windows
Best for: Professional live streaming to Mixer, YouTube or Twitch
This is a suite of software applications that includes screen recorders for Android, iOS, Mac and Windows.
It allows you to wirelessly cast an Android device or iPhone to your PC’s screen and use the desktop recorder to capture your PC audio, mobile device, microphone, and computer’s webcam simultaneously.
The desktop screen recorder offers multiple recording modes, including full screen, custom area, and more, and it also lets users annotate on the recording in real-time. You can apply callouts, lines, text, and more without needing to pause.
With the help of its intuitive, mobile-specific apps, you just have to set your computer and smartphone under the same WiFi network and begin casting.
Mac and Windows users can directly use the desktop screen recorder to record all kinds of on-screen activities.
Price: $59.95 per year
Supported OS: Android, iOS, Windows, Mac
Best for: Demonstrating how to use software that has both a desktop and a mobile version
Screencast-O-Matic is an online screen recorder and video editor that supports both webcam and screen recordings.
While the application doesn’t let you record in HD, it does have options to record in 800×600, 640×480 and other standard definitions, which makes it ideal for recording and uploading quick videos.
It also assists users in zooming, drawing, and adding overlays on the video files.
Plus, you can share the recording to YouTube without having to download any desktop app.
Screencast-O-Matic also has additional features including options for editing computer audio and synchronization of recording with video footage.
Keep in mind that most of the editing features are offered in the paid version of the app. However, you can use the free version to upload content to YouTube.
Price: Free or $1.50 per month
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Chromebook, iOS
Best for: Making quick tutorials to share with friends, customers or online communities
AceThinker is a web-based laptop screen recorder that is easy to set up and use.
You can use it to record a specific screen portion or the whole screen, create real-time edits for an attention-worthy recording, and capture audio from your mic and computer simultaneously.
The software lets you convert and save your recordings in all renowned video formats, including MP4, MOV and API.
And you can also use AceThinker to directly upload your recordings to Dropbox, Google Drive, or YouTube.
All of these features are available in the free version of the app, but you can also install the PRO version to gain access to additional capabilities.
A standout feature of the PRO version is that it lets you create scheduled tasks for screen recordings.
If you want to record an ongoing live stream in the afternoon, but you don’t have the internet at work, you can install this screen capture tool on your home computer, create a schedule and let it record the screen automatically.
Price: Free or $39.95
Supported OS: Mac, Windows
Best for: Recording soccer matches, stock trends, etc.
If you’ve been searching for a Mac screen recorder with audio capabilities, then you’d love ScreenFlow.
Its range of features includes the options to record your Mac at retina resolution, group video components and settings, and add background audio to the recorded footage.
You’d also love the “Styles” and “Templates” tools that come as part of the software.
Styles lets you save visual/audio settings for certain elements like drop shadows or color filters for a recorded segment.
Templates, on the other hand, lets users arrange, insert and configure groups of annotations in advance, such as text placeholders and outro segments.
Those who subscribe to the Super Pak version of ScreenFlow (a more expensive plan) also get access to over 500,000 pieces of unique images and audio clips to use in all of their videos.
So if you’re looking to make the most of your screen recordings, ScreenFlow is unlikely to disappoint.
Supported OS: Mac, iOS
Best for: Making high-quality retina videos
Screencastify is another screen recording application that works via Google Chrome.
Whether you’re a seasoned or a novice video creator, you’ll find that Screencastify offers all of the important options.
You can use it to capture your webcam, entire screen or tab only, as well as narrate to your microphone.
It also presents you with annotation tools that help keep your viewers focus on what’s critical. Click highlighting, drawing pen tool, and mouse spotlight are all included.
And once you’re recorded the screen, Screencastify will do the heavy lifting for you by autosaving the video to your Google Drive.
Like many of the best screen recording software options, Screencastify gives you the option to upload to YouTube, as well as export the recording as an animated GIF, MP3, or MP4.
Supported OS: Mac, Windows, Linux
Best for: Recording software demos and creating solution videos
Bandicam is a robust screen recording application that supports screen and gameplay capturing.
It utilizes a high compression ratio without compromising video quality. Bandicam makes it possible to capture 4K ultra-high-definition videos at 120 frames per second.
Another noteworthy feature is Bandicam’s device recording capability. By getting a separate capture card, you can record videos from IPTV, HDTV, APPLE TV, smartphone, PlayStation and Xbox.
In addition, Bandicam lets users capture screenshots in JPEG, PNG and BMP formats.
Essentially, you can use Bandicam to record just about anything, including your entire computer screen, Excel spreadsheets, web browser, Powerpoint presentations, and more.
Its free version places a watermark on the videos, so you need to become a paid user to utilize its full potential.
Price: Free or $39.99
Supported OS: Windows
Best for: Balancing the depth of video recordings
8. Filmora Scrn
Filmora Scrn lets you capture gameplay, webcam, computer screen and audio simultaneously without placing any limits on the duration of the video.
It gives you the option to record in 15-120 frames per second. Higher FPS is ideal for recording gameplay with loads of action.
The software also lets you add annotations like text to improve the viewing experience for your audience. Also, you can modify the size, color and shape of your cursor to make it look unique.
With Filmora Scrn, you don’t need a separate video editing tool because the screen recording software itself boasts a wide range of editing tools to help refine your video recordings.
It can import from over 50 file formats, and you also get the option to export your recordings in multiple formats as per your requirement.
Price: Free or $29.99
Supported OS: Windows, Mac
Best for: Recording screen from two devices simultaneously
TechSmith’s Camtasia makes it simple to capture and make professional-looking videos on your PC.
You can record both audio and video from a desktop or iOS device, and also capture your webcam to infuse a personal element to your recording.
Its built-in video editing tool is where Camtasia shines. A good selection of stock images along with click-and-drag effects is offered in the sidebar of the tool. Users can create outro and intro segments by dropping them into their recordings in a matter of seconds.
You can also insert zoom out, zoom in, and pan animations into your footage, and use transitions between slides and scenes to enhance the flow of your videos.
The screen recording software also lets you import or record PowerPoint pages directly into its environment. Grab attention in your presentations by adding eye-catching recordings, titles, and more.
Price: Free or $249
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, iOS
Best for: Adding a professional touch to captured videos
This open-source screen recording software is ideal for capturing videos.
It doesn’t place watermarks or duration limits on your recordings, and you also get the option to save your file as a GIF instead of a video.
The video file sharing features are ShareX’s biggest advantage, because it’s easy to upload recordings directly to YouTube and other platforms.
Enhancing screenshots you capture with this tool doesn’t require much effort either. A built-in photo editor lets you freely customize still photos in any way you want.
Not only is it a brilliant screenshot and screen capture tool, but it can also capture and reveal text via OCR, record a whole scrolling webpage, and even record your screen according to a schedule.
Supported OS: Linux, Windows
Best for: Recording screens of Linux devices
11. Cloud App
CloudApp is another powerful screen recorder tool. It allows you to capture video, webcam, screenshot annotation, and GIF creation securely to the cloud.
- Screen capture tool for Mac, Windows and Linux OS
- Capture everything that you see in your cloud
- Enhance screenshots and GIFs with annotations
Tipard Screen Capture Pro is a tool that enables you to capture the screen of your computer. It helps you to record online videos in high quality. This application can be used to convert PowerPoint presentations to DVDs or videos.
- Allows you to create Blu-ray discs from HD videos.
- Enables you to convert any video or audio file to 4K format.
- You can burn video to disc or folder.
- Helps you to seamlessly record the screen.
Greenshot is an open source screen capture tool. This tool allows you to quickly capture screenshots of a selected region, window, or entire screen. It is one of the best screen capture tools which helps you to capture scrolling web pages from the Internet Explorer and other browsers.
- This screenshot tool compatible with Window OS (any version)
- Easily annotate, highlight or obfuscate part of the screenshot
- Quickly create a screenshot of a selected region
Fire shot is one of the best screen capture software which allows you to quickly creates screenshot as per your business needs.
- Screen Capture software for Windows
- FireShot helps you capture web page screenshots, perform quick edits, add text annotations
- Allows you to annotate, highlight parts of the screenshot
It is a free, open source lightweight and free screen capture tool from advertisements. It is one of the best screenshot tools that offers screenshot capture, screen recorder, file sharing and productivity tools.
- Supported with Windows
- Easy screen capture sharing
- This Snapchat screenshot app offers customizable workflows
- This free screen recorder comes with multiple tools like screen color picker, image editor, QR code generator, etc.
Download link: https://getsharex.com/
Lightscreen is an easy to use screen capture tool. The tool allows you to automate the process of saving and cataloging screenshots.
- Screen capture tool for Windows and Linux
- System tray icon for easy access
- This Windows screenshot tool allows you to take configurable actions with global hotkey access feature
- You can preview window by using integrated image viewer
17. FastStone Capture
FastStone Capture is a powerful, lightweight full-featured screen capture tool. It helps the user to capture and annotate all that is in the screen including windows, menus, objects, and even web pages.
- Instant screen capturing with the help of Hotkeys
- Capture windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular/freehand, etc.
- Capture multiple windows and objects which includes multi-level menus
- Draw annotation objects like texts, arrowed lines, highlights, watermarks, circles and rectangles
Skitch is a screen capture and quick image capture and annotation tool. This screen capture tool allows you to mark areas.
- Skitch is a free screen capturing tool for Mac and Windows OS
- It offers easy to use with a user-friendly interface
- Available for Android and iOS mobile devices
- A user can Skitch for annotating photograph directly from the camera.
Download link: https://evernote.com/products/skitch
TinyTake screen captures any screen as per user-specified area or region. You can highlight images with the help of colored pen and images. It is one of the best screenshot programs that can be edited with the help of textbox, arrow or picture caption.
- Free screen capturing and video recording tool
- Capture image of the entire screen or specific region
- The selected part of the screenshot can be blurred to hide sensitive data
- It also records areas of the screen activity
Download link: https://tinytake.com/
Lightshot is screen capture tool allows you to take a screenshot quickly. It is one of the best screenshot tool that allows the user to take a screenshot of a selected area which can be resized or moved without any hassle.
- It allows you to captures the screen with just two clicks
- User-friendly interface makes your work complete in a faster pace
- While capturing screen, the user should be able to edit the same screenshot
- Automatically uploads captured images online for sharing
Download link: https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html
21. Screenshot Captor
Screenshot Captor captures images in full-screen mode, selected area, scrolling window, fixed size window, etc. This is simple to use screen capture tool.
- Screenshot Captor is a free screenshot tool available for Windows
- It allows you to captures images from a webcam
- This Chrome screen capture easily captures the screenshot of multiple monitors
- It automatically trims the extra margins of captured images
- Supports 3rd party configurable tools like file browsers, image editors
22. Gadwin PrintScreen
Gadwin PrintScreen is easy to use and most convenient screen capture tool. It allows you to assign a hotkey on the keyboard, to capture screen with different modes. Like full screen in the selected areas.
- Screen capture tool for windows
- Customizable export options for simple controls
- Full-screen data can be put on the clipboard
Download link: https://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/
SnapCrab captures images as per the user-defined area, full screen and saves the images in JPEG, PNG and GIF formats.
- Screen capture tool for the Windows platform
- It has a self-timer feature so that user can set the time to automatically captures an image on the screen
- Various customization options such as defining your hotkey, modifying how to take a snapshot of the screen
Download link: https://snapcrab-for-windows.en.softonic.com/
The program allows users to create screenshots, annotate them and upload them to the cloud. It allows some part of the screen or selected area.
- Monosnap is a free screenshot program for Mac OS X and Windows
- Capture full screen, some part of the screen, or a selected area
- Upload snapshot to storage in one click
- Hide private information with our blur tool
Download link: https://monosnap.com/
The shutter is a feature-rich screenshot program. It helps you to take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or entire website.
- Screen capture tool for Linux based operating systems
- It captures every detail on screen without losing control over your screenshots
- Offers a wide range of plugins that allow you to add impressive effects to your screenshots
Download link: https://shutter-project.org/
Snipaste is an easy to use and powerful snipping tool. It allows you to pin the screenshot back onto the screen. You can also be able to convert text or color info in the clipboard into a floating image window.
- Support for Windows OS
- Auto-detect UI elements
- Detailed functionality options
- Multi-screen support & HiDPI support
Download link: https://www.snipaste.com/
Gyazo one of the popular screenshot software allows you to grab anything on your screen, share anywhere, and find everything inside your screen.
- Capture instantly
- Share anywhere
- Find captures area quickly with automatic tagging
Download link: https://gyazo.com/en
28. Awesome Screenshot
Awesome Screenshot is one of the popular screenshot software that allows you to capture every part of the web page, including adding annotations, comments, blur sensitive information, and share with one-click uploads.
- Screenshot tool for windows
- Specific feedback about your screenshots and designs
- The easiest way to communicate with images
- Store and organize your images by project
HotShots is a screen capture software for capturing screens and saving them in various image formats. It also adds annotations and graphical data.
- Screen capture tool for Linux
- Full-featured, yet simple tool
- Speed it up with HotKeys
- Built-in magnification
- Freehand and multi-screen capture
Snaggy is the most straightforward tool to share a snapshot of your screen. It allows sharing your screenshots with just a single click.
- Crop and edit your images with the simple, built-in editor
- Register an account to manage and delete your old images
- It offers fast workflow which needs only the minimum number of keypresses
Download link: https://snag.gy/
Elements to consider while choosing the best screen capture tool
Everyone tends to choose the best and affordable screenshot software tool for PC or laptop. As there are extensive tools available, you might get confused in selecting the best one. The best idea is you should look after the factors while choosing the screenshot software. Below is the list of factors you should consider before selecting any screenshot tool for your Windows or Mac OS X:
- The first factor to be considered is the screenshot software device you choose must be easy to use and user-friendly.
- Another factor is your screen capture software tool should possess edit functions and tools.
- Before you select any screen capturing tool, you must first check its hardware or system requirements.
- Your screenshot software device for Windows or macOS should offer a wide range of advanced features.
- You should make sure that your screenshot software offers regular updates and full-time support to customers.
- The last factor but not the least is to read the reviews of the screen capturing software that you choose.
Screen recording has many different applications. You can use it to record software or game tutorials and reviews with audio commentary, create developer materials for screencasts, or for simple screen capturing actions.
The best screen capture tool free to get a screenshot is the snipping tool, which comes pre-installed on windows. You can make a video of anything on your screen as long as it’s within your screen borders and you have enough memory space. However, there are also other tools that are better than the snipping tools, such as free and open source tools.