Good project management ensures that people and tasks are aligned. When you choose the right software, that makes managing your projects and tasks easier and more efficient. With open source project management systems you can ensure certain features are available to you.
The top task tracking open source applications are usually already equipped with hundreds of thousands of users, developers and support teams available for user requests. Not only can you receive new updates on your existing systems but also user requests such as bug fixes and product enhancements which leads to the betterment of the application. Here are some open source softwares.
Redmine is an open-source project management tool, made highly flexible by its volunteer community.
- Gantt charts and calendar for planning
- Newsfeed + document & file management
- Features for planning product roadmaps
- Email notifications
- Simple time tracking
What’s special about this tool: Redmine is an open-source tool and has multilanguage support, which might become handy.
Zoho Projects is one of the best-known tools for simple project management that can help teams streamline their upcoming work and tasks.
- Task lists with multiple tasks and milestones
- Time tracking and timesheets
- Gantt charts to oversee project progress
- Document and file management
What’s special about this tool: Zoho projects can be integrated with Zoho CRM and other tools to manage almost every aspect of your agency in one system.
Pricing: From $5 user/month
Check out the best Zoho Alternatives for business management!
Deltek WorkBook is a software suite for project and resource management, CRM, collaboration and file sharing, forecasting & accounting built specifically for agencies and in-house teams.
- Project and tasks lists
- Gantt charts
- Sales pipeline
- Client portal
- Financial features (e.g., budgets, forecasts, automatic billing)
What’s special about this tool: Not all clients have the same needs. WorkBook lets you choose exactly the modules that suit your needs and only pay for what you use.
Pricing: $19 user/month, minimum of 30 users
FunctionFox has many helpful project management features, such as milestone tracking and budget comparison. It also has a friendly user interface, making it pleasant to use.
- Scheduling unlimited tasks and meetings
- Interactive real-time reporting
- Projects with sub-tasks and milestones
- Budget estimations
- To-do lists and time-tracking
What’s special about this tool: FunctionFox lets users create visual management dashboards customized according to personal preferences. It’s a great way to get a quick overview of your upcoming work and your team’s results.
Pricing: From $5 user/month ($35/month for 1st user)
Wrike cloud-based task management system facilitates remote teams to collaborate on a project. Wrike offers managers the workload review so that they can ensure proper management of resources. It also offers integration with different apps such as Dropbox, Salesforce, Slack, etc.
- Adjustable Gantt charts
Using Gantt charts offered by this task management tool, managers can view deadlines and monitor project progress in one click.
- Burndown charts
Managers can view burndown charts to check resource utilization to prevent burnout using this online task manager.
- Monitor multiple projects
This project tracking software allows you to track different teams working on multiple projects.
- Dashboard and reports
Wrike offers a customizable dashboard and reports that help you study performance analytics of different teams.
- Automated workflows
Wrike best task management software uses automated workflows and customized work forms for better completion of all your projects.
Wrike’s premium features include branded workspace, advanced user access controls and real time reports with scheduled notification.
The price of Wrike’s premium version starts from ₹733.87 per user per month.
- Easy to communicate with different team members
- User friendly and intuitive interface
- Wrike allows client collaboration on project
Some users might face issues while logging in or while synchronization.
Trello online task manager is suitable for scheduling tasks and projects. Managers can quickly assign new tasks to team members. Team members can update the status of the project on Trello to do list software.
- Facilitates working with multiple teams
Trello lets you schedule projects across different teams and keep them organized under one platform.
- Trello cards
Trello cards can be used to add comments and other information such as due date, etc.
- Automation with butler
Butler offered by Trello free task management software automates repetitive tasks to improve your efficiency.
- Seamless integration
Trello open source task management software easily integrates with apps already being used by your organisation.
- Powerful syncing
Trello syncs with multiple devices so that you can access your data from anywhere.
Premium features of Trello include priority support, custom stickers, and advance admin controls.
Price of Trello’s task management system starts from ₹748.10 per user per month.
- It has a simple to use and interactive interface
- Provides a central platform for managers to view progress
- Option of adding color label to cards, denoting priority
Some users might find the mobile version of Trello lacking in functionality as compared to the desktop version.
Paymo is a cloud-based task management tool utilized by small and medium businesses to delegate important tasks between their team members and keep a track of their progress. Paymo comes with an inbuilt timer and the option of sharing time reports with clients.
- Structuring of work
Paymo project tracking software lets you assign tasks to one or more team members and group similar tasks together.
- Set priority status
Using this best task management software, a manager can overview their own tasks as well as their team’s tasks and assign priority status.
- Real time collaboration
Using this to do list software, you can collaborate with your team members by chatting with them in real time.
- Notification control
This project tracking software lets you decide who receives a notification whenever you post an update.
- Attaching files
You can attach files from drive or from your computer to ongoing projects.
Premium features of Paymo include time tracking, in app tech support and enhanced tools such as Gantt charts.
The price of Paymo’s premium version starts from ₹670.22 per user month.
- Paymo can be used by businesses of varying size
- Paymo helps to segment projects into different time sheets
- It generates professional and clean looking invoices
Some users might find Paymo’s interface a bit sluggish.
Scoro is a comprehensive solution that combines all the features you might need in project management software: projects & tasks, contact management, quotes, team collaboration, billing, and reporting.
- Projects with sub-tasks and deadlines
- Real-time KPI dashboard
- Shared team calendar & meeting scheduling
- Contact management
- Time tracking and billing for work
- Detailed reports on project progress and finances
- Quoting and invoicing with pre-set templates
What’s special about this tool: Scoro helps to streamline your entire work progress, so you don’t need to use a lot of different tools for every task. All your important information is stored in one central place.
Pricing: From $26 user/month
ProofHub offers a replacement for conventional emailing and many other tools, integrating multiple project management features under one roof.
- Assigned user roles
- Online team discussions and chats
- Task delegating and assignments
- Reporting and tracking project history
- Secure file storage
What’s special about this tool: ProofHub has a simple and well-designed user interface that helps the team collaborate more efficiently.
Pricing: From $45 month
Basecamp is the preferred tool for thousands of project management teams, who enjoy its modern social media-like interface and carefree team collaboration features.
- Projects to manage multiple users’ work
- Message boards for discussing new projects or ideas
- In-app collaboration with the team
- Reporting on project performance
- Separate dashboard for showing to clients
- Email and desktop notifications
What’s special about this tool: Compared to some other project management alternatives, Basecamp doesn’t charge you per person, and it’s free for teachers and students!
Price: Free plans available, paid plans from $99/month
Asana combines elements of project management, file storage, and collaboration and helps to manage projects across a team without email.
- Tasks and team assignment
- Projects roadmaps and timelines
- Milestones and team progress
- File and track bug reports and sprints.
- Project dashboards to get a quick overview
What’s special about this tool: Asana is a really easy-to-use tool with a simplistic layout ideal for small teams with simple projects.
Pricing: Free for up to 15 members, paid plans from $13 user/month
Podio is a flexible and highly customizable online hub for work and team communication.
- Assign tasks, attach files, and discuss details within the solution
- Share encrypted & large files
- Automate the sales pipelines and project budget tracking
- Get an overview of the company with a visual dashboard
What’s special about this tool: Podio’s workflows feature enables you to add if-this-then-that logic to Podio apps. For example, instruct your app to create a task or comment.
Pricing: From 19.20$ month/user for a full suite of features
Workzone was built by experienced ad executives who wanted to help agencies and creative teams get visibility into all of their work.
- Personalized, individual to-do lists
- Create subtasks and task dependencies
- Set permissions for specific users (including clients) to access projects, tasks, and files
- Quickly see statuses with Gantt charts
- Assign people to more than one task
What’s special about this tool: Workzone has many powerful features but is simpler to use than more complex tools.
Pricing: From $24 user/month
JIRA is a cross-platform issue and bug tracking software with advanced project management capabilities and features.
- Create user stories and issues, plan sprints
- Distribute tasks across your software team.
- Prioritize and discuss your team’s work
- Centralize your team communication
- See real-time reporting on your team’s work
What’s special about this tool: JIRA is designed for software development teams, making it the perfect IT project management tool.
Pricing: Starting from $10/month (up to 10 users), $75/month for 15 users, $300/month for 50 users.
Notion will give you a completely different take on project management. It helps plan and discuss projects, share everything with the team, and keep track of all the ideas.
- Keep a personal weekly checklist and take notes
- Build a task board with a flexible drag-and-drop editor
- Nest pages inside each other – like an infinite knowledge base
What’s special about this tool: Notion is like the LEGO set for collaboration software – it lets you assemble workflows that work best for your team.
Pricing: $8 user/month
Trello is known for visualizing project tasks on a cardboard-like dashboard that’s great for managing short and quick everyday assignments.
- Simple task management on a cardboard
- Creating unlimited task lists
- Image and file sharing
- Organizing lists by dates or priority
- Commenting and collaboration
What’s special about this tool: From startups to Fortune 500 companies, Trello is the most visual way for teams to collaborate on any project.
Pricing: Free for personal use, $9.99 user/month for businesses
Check out this Trello alternative!
ActiveCollab is a project management software helping your team stay organized while you outgrow email.
- Time tracking and invoicing
- Gantt-like timeline for planning
- Kanban cards
- A shared team calendar for collaboration
What’s interesting about this tool: Active Collab is especially great for collaboration, with functions like collaborative text editing and @mentions for communication.
Pricing: From $6.25 member/month
There is also a list of best open source project management software. Although there are many free and commercial software available in the market, we never know what might go wrong. The best way to handle this problem is to use open source projects and web-based tool. Open source project management software is affordable and offers free support.