The Best Free Screen Recording Software for Windows
Utilizing screen recording software, you may record your desktop for YouTube videos, product-related videos, tutorials, courses, and more. These programs let you record videos from your webcam and computer screen.
The Best Free Software for Recording and Sharing Videos is a great guide to help you get started with recording and sharing videos. It has step-by-step instructions, helpful resources, and links to free software that will make your process easier.
The Best Free Screen Recording Software for Windows
For async work, Loom is the top video communication tool. You can record, share, and interact with videos to advance work whether you’re at your desk or on the go because to their simplicity and speedy engineering. Loom helps over 14 million users in 200,000 businesses work more productively via async video.
- Record your screen in seconds using the native Windows app or chrome extension
- Generate a written transcript and remove filler words with a click
- Unlimited video creation and storage with the Loom Business Plan
- Upload videos into Loom to store as a video content library
- Emoji reactions and comments make feedback fun
- Record with confidence wherever you are with background noise reduction feature
You may record any portion of your screen using Screencast-O-Matic, an intuitive screen recorder. It offers the option to include narration from your microphone and video from your webcam.
- You can animate videos with transitions and overlay effects.
- It allows you to import videos, images, and audio from other devices.
- You can show or hide the cursor and webcam.
- Zoom in or out to highlight a specific area of the video.
- You can add and edit narration, music, and system audio.
- You can apply styles on text, shapes, and images.
3) Movavi Screen Recorder
A simple screen recording application called Movavi Screen Recorder is used to record video calls, stream videos, and other activities. You may record full HD video at 60 frames per second thanks to it.
- Record screen with a plug in, microphone or sound or to record a voice.
- Include a range of settings, including frame rate, and volume.
- You can cut and join video clips, without any hassle.
- This software helps you to record video even if you are away.
- It allows you to share results to Google Drive, Movavi Cloud, or YouTube.
- No special hardware is needed for capturing screen audio.
- You can record from any source, including mic, system sounds, and webcam.
4) Icecream Screen Recorder
You can capture any part of your computer screen with the screen recording program Icecream Screen Recorder. You can use this application to record webinars, apps and games, live streaming, Skype calls, and more.
- It allows you to choose output quality.
- You can select the area of the screen or record the full screen.
- This software helps you to record screen with webcam overlay.
- You can add text, shapes, and arrows to your screen recording.
- Icecream apps enable you to record full-screen 3D games.
- You can record the screen and save it in GIF format.
- It enables you to add a watermark logo to your screen recording.
Without the need for an email chain or in-person meetings, ClickUp is a free screen recording tool that enables you to share your screen recording and deliver your message clearly.
- It helps you to capture your entire screen, app window, or your browser tab.
- Allows you to send your video message to anyone with a shareable link.
- You can create a video recording, add description, and assign it to your team.
- Supported platforms: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
On Windows and Mac, Camtasia is a tool for recording and producing professional-looking videos. This software can be used to create demo videos, YouTube videos, video tutorials, and more.
- You can record webcam and screen, and presentation.
- It provides music and audio library.
- You can create eye-catching titles and annotations.
- Camtasia enables you to add Zoom, pan, and animate.
- You can use transitions between scenes and slides in order to improve video flow.
- Camtasia enables you to create quizzes.
- You can add an effect to your video.
7) AnyMP4 Screen Recorder
One of the top screen recording programs is AnyMP4 and can capture any screen activity. It also makes it easier for you to snap screenshots and record high-definition video on your computer with a variety of audio sources, including system sounds and microphone voice.
- Allows you to record any Screen Activity from Your Desktop
- Helps you to capture Live Streaming Videos from YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, and other social medial platforms.
- You can record screen record gameplay and share your memory with others
- Record Video from Webcam, Audio Calls & Conferences, and Microphone Voice.
The Best Screen Recorder for Windows
Free Screen Recorders that Save Money
1. Free Cam
Ideal screen capturing software for making WMV screen captures
A very basic free screen recorder with an integrated audio/video editor is called Free Cam. You may alter the size of the area you need to capture using the enticing and user-friendly interface, which allows you to record both the entire screen and a piece of it. Despite being free, this software doesn’t have any watermarks and is ad-free. Additionally, there are no time restrictions; you are free to record videos for as long as you choose.
- No watermark, time limits, or ads
- Records voice-overs and computer sounds
- High-quality resolution
- Users can save videos as WMV or upload them directly to YouTube
- Easily deletes unwanted video fragments
- Removes background noise
- Wide selection of audio effects
- Saves recordings to WMV only
- No webcam recording
2. DVDVideoSoft’s Free Screen Video Recorder
The best screen capture software for recording Skype video calls
From a creator recognized for its free conversion software, Free Screen Video Recorder is a fully functional yet portable free screen recorder. It is helpful for Skype meetings and online conference calls because it can record Skype chats without restrictions. Additionally, many Windows apps can be identified and recorded as separate items. A simple, user-friendly image editor is provided, and it is surprisingly useful for creating a professional appearance.
- Offers a convenient screenshot feature
- Different modes for recording your screen and video
- Suitable for recording Skype conversations
- Step-by-step instructions provided on the site
- Available in 10 languages
- Output formats include MP4, BMP, TGA, JPEG, PNG, and GIF
- Microphone sound recording only
- Excessive ads may interrupt your work
- Lacks coherent interface and built-in media player
- May install unwanted software during download
- Does not notify users if disconnection occurs
The best screen recorder for PC for those who need to share screen captures online
With almost as many sophisticated capabilities as some premium screen recorders, ShareX is an open-source utility that is free of advertisements. An average consumer could become lost in the numerous sophisticated tools and editors since ShareX is primarily designed for developers and power users.
- Records full screen, window, monitor, region, freehand, or scrolling
- Incorporates hotkeys for easier and quicker navigation
- Supports many URL sharing services
- Imports existing videos, music, or photos
- Allows custom watermarks and color effects
- A variety of export options
- Low video quality of game recordings
- Complicated for the average user
- No webcam recording
- Reported to fail while uploading large files
- No video editor
The best free screen recorder for creating AVI video files
For people who only seldom or occasionally utilize editing, CamStudio is an excellent option. This free, open-source screen recording tool produces AVI films that can be later converted to SWF. While some find its compactness appealing, others need more advancement and technical assistance. You might need to use extra video editing software because the tool only has basic editing capabilities.
- Creates a screen-in-screen video
- Allows you to create small-sized files
- Custom cursor
- Quality options available for output video
- Reported to spread harmful viruses and malware
- Outputs only to AVI with a conversion to Flash
- Output is incompatible with certain browsers
- Audio falls out of sync
- Lack of interactive and animation features
A perfect screen recording tool for making quick video clips and sharing them on YouTube
The world’s tool, according to Ezvid, a free screen recording application, may not be too far off the mark. The quickness of Ezvid, which was created expressly to save users’ time, contributes to the product’s clarity. In just a few minutes, you can create and publish videos directly to the YouTube platform. And for this reason, this program is well-known among gamers and moviegoers who want to create YouTube videos regularly and rapidly.
- Offers computer-generated speech for narrative purposes
- Automatic high-quality resolution (1280 x 720p HD)
- Speed control over output videos
- Sleek and modern interface
- Instantaneous upload to YouTube
- Selection of popular music tracks included
- Reviewers report extraneous noise
- Minor bugs and inconsistencies
- Fullscreen game is not available
A screen recorder with a native cloud-based gallery for storing and sharing videos
OS: Windows and Mac
A sophisticated desktop screen recorder for Windows and Mac, TinyTake by MangoApps enables you to take screenshots and videos of your computer screen, annotate them, and share them with others in a matter of minutes. A cloud-based web gallery that is included with TinyTake allows you to keep all of your screen captures and recorded movies.
- Bulk file sharing
- Public URL available for sharing
- Built-in online file viewer for images, videos, and documents
- Ability to create custom shortcut keys
- Video player is compatible with mobile devices
- Free version has a 5-minute limit for video recording
- Video files are saved as MP4 only
- Limited editing tools
7. OBS (Open Broadcaster Software)
The best free screen recorder for capturing gameplays
OS: Windows, Mac, Linux
OBS Studio is a top open-source software for live streaming. You can create scenes composed with multiple sources: images, texts, window captures, browser windows, webcams, capture cards, and more, and then switch between them seamlessly via custom transitions. Unlike many other free competitors, it is an advanced screen recorder that packs a lot of features and settings. But all this can seem overkill for those who are looking for the quickest and easiest way to shoot a video.
- Allows you to set up multiple scenes and use various sources
- Includes built-in audio mixer with per-source filters
- Provides advanced configuration options
- Does not add watermarks
- Has no recording limit
- Supports multiple streaming services
- Some users find the interface quite clunky
- Learning curve is steep for non-techs
- Reported to crash quite often
- Not suited for quick screen recordings
8. Debut Video Capture
Great video recording software for creating demonstrations and streaming video games
Debut is among the best free screen recorders for Windows and lets you to make videos for almost any task. It has a slightly odd and old-fashioned interface but offers advanced functionality. For example, you can make mouse highlighting spotlights, show keystrokes, replace the background with images, video, or color, add a logo or watermark to your video capture, and even schedule a recording.
- Can capture from a network IP camera and other devices
- Records screen, webcam, and audio
- Unlimited recording time
- Robust editing options
- A variety of output formats
- Green Screen tool
- Time-lapse video recording
- Limited editing features
- Outdated interface
- No interactive or animation features
- Reported to slow down when uploading videos
The best screen recorder for video messaging
OS: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android
Loom presents itself as a screen and webcam recorder that helps people record quick video messages that they can send to their team. Thus, it’s a great alternative to emails, instant messaging, and web meetings. However, the free version has some limitations. For example, it allows the creation of a maximum of 25 videos per person and restricts the duration to five minutes. Besides, it has limited editing capabilities, which means you need to use other apps to edit and share recorded messages.
- Records screen, webcam, and audio
- No watermark or ads
- Has a team workspace for storing and sharing videos
- Allows you to see who viewed the video
- Can be integrated with other tools: Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Video interaction capabilities like emoji reactions and comments
- Has an extension for Google Chrome
- Very limited editing functionality
- Only 25 videos per one user
- Video duration is limited to 5 minutes
Best Free Screen Recorder Windows 10
5 Best Screen Recorders for Windows 10
ActivePresenter by Atomi Systems is an all-in-one screen recorder and video editor. It is most loved by YouTubers, video producers, educators, and trainers who look for video demos, how-to videos, and step-by-step tutorials. ActivePresenter has virtually all the features and effects one may need to record screen and edit videos.
The free version of ActivePresenter is free of charge with no watermark when using free features. You can test all features of ActivePresenter without any functionality or time restrictions. After the capture phase, you’re allowed to trim, cut, split your recording, change the speed and volume, add closed captions, annotations, animations, and more. When you upgrade to the paid versions, more advanced audio and video editing features are available to create impressive videos and software simulations.
2. Windows 10’s built-in Game bar
You might be surprised that Windows 10 has a pre-installed Game bar for anyone who wants to capture their game clips and screenshots. Of course, this Game bar can be used to record apps only – it cannot record full screen or a specific region. This makes sense as it is designed for gaming capture. Although the Game bar is available on all Windows 10 PCs, to record game clips and screen, your computer’s video cards must meet the hardware requirements.
Recording your screen with the Game bar is easy by following these steps:
- Press WINDOWS+G to open the Game bar. If required, select the “Yes, this is a game.” check box.
- Press the Start/Stop Recording button to start and stop a recording. Use the Turn Microphone On/Off button to toggle microphone if you wish.
- After recording, trim your video or rename it in the Xbox app. Your video will be saved in the Captures folder, which by default is in your Videos folder.
3. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a free application for video recording and live streaming without watermark or time limit. It is much preferred by hardcore gamers for broadcasting their live gameplay footage. Using OBS Studio, you can capture not only the entire display or a window but also from webcam and microphone. When it comes to streaming, the program lets you select which desktop applications and audio sources to be shared, as well as create layered videos for webcam.
While OBS Studio is a versatile app for capturing screen, it integrates no video editor. You need to employ another tool if you want to edit your recorded video. As a side note, as OBS Studio is an open-source program, you should be careful not to download the program from any website but the official site.
4. Flashback Express
Flashback Express is a at no cost app that can record screen, webcam, and sounds. It neither sets time limit on recording nor stamps watermark on the output videos. If you are running this software on a multi-monitor system, you can either record screens across multiple monitors or limit capturing to a single monitor. You can also make use of scheduled recordings to start and stop recording at scheduled times or when a specified application is launched.
Flashback Express is a free version of a paid application, Flashback Pro. While the two versions share the same recording features, the free version doesn’t include any video editing features, annotations, or effects. Regarding sharing, users can save videos as MP4, AVI, or WMV and directly upload videos to YouTube. Only paid users are entitled to save videos as Flash, QuickTime, GIF, or standalone EXE and set password protection for videos.
Developed by TechSmith, Camtasia is one of the highest-priced screen capture applications at present. It has over 14 million users worldwide and might never be absent in top screen recorder rankings. As an all-in-one screen recorder and video editor, Camtasia claims to “make it easy to record your screen and create polished, professional-looking videos.”
The newest version of Camtasia, Camtasia 2018, comes with a collection of brand-new video assets such as customizable intros, outros, and lower thirds. It also includes a number of themes to maintain a consistent look and feel across a series of videos. A 30-day free trial is available with watermark added.
3 Best free screen recorder free
The best free screen recorders help you capture everything on your screen and convert it to video. If you need to record assets for work, education, games streaming, and YouTubing, or you just want a free screen recorder for gaming, there’s plenty of great tools available that won’t cost you a penny.
1. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is unquestionably the greatest free screen recorder for you if you’re seeking for free game recording software. OBS Studio is open source and totally free to use without any limitations, unlike the immensely popular FRAPS (which only allows you to record for 30 seconds at a time unless you’ve purchased a license, and puts a watermark to the produced footage).
There are no limitations on the quantity or length of your works with OBS Studio, which allows both high definition streaming and recording. You can save projects and return to them later, stream live to Twitch or YouTube Gaming, or encode your video in FLV format and store it locally.
OBS Studio has customized hotkeys to control the recording and can record directly from your graphics card, allowing it to screen capture games that are running in full-screen mode (many other screen recorders can only record if the game is windowed). OBS Studio can record at 60FPS and fully utilize multi-core CPUs for better performance (or even higher).
The most effective free screen recorder for gaming is the highly capable OBS Studio, albeit it may take some time to configure it exactly how you want.
2. FlashBack Express
Our preferred free screen recording program is OBS Studio, but Flashback Express is a close second. FlashBack Express is a free screen recorder for PCs that does not include a watermark, despite being a free version of a commercial product. It also won’t have a time limit.
The screen capture tool is loaded with capabilities and features that may compete with many expensive products. If you’ve never used a free screen recorder before, it’s a great option because its interface is less scary than OBS Studio’s.
You have the option of recording from your entire screen, a window, a chosen region, or a webcam. When you’re done, your recording will display in a straightforward editor where you may cut and crop it to your specifications before exporting it to YouTube, an FTP site, or your computer.
All of those features are quite typical for a screen recorder, but spend some time exploring Flashback’s additional options. You’ll discover a plethora of carefully thought-out settings that will give your desktop captures a truly professional appearance. The free screen recording software for PC has features like automated password obscuring, plain wallpaper replacement, hiding disorganized desktop icons, and highlighting the mouse cursor for easy navigation. Additionally, you can choose the number of frames recorded per second in a special gaming mode.
Unless you decide to establish one, there is no length restriction on your recordings, which is advantageous if there’s a possibility that you might forget to turn the recorder off. Long recordings can also be divided into smaller segments, which is a wonderful feature that prevents you from building up large, cumbersome files. Additionally, your recordings won’t be watermarked.
After a recent update, Flashback Express can now export in WMV, AVI, and MP4 formats, doing away with the need for a separate video converter. Additionally, it no longer needs a free license key to be activated; all you need to do is install the recording software to begin recording video.
Free game recording software FBX was also made available by FlashBack creator Blueberry Software (opens in new tab). This recorder records HD in-game video with hardware acceleration for Intel CPUs, AMD, and Nvidia processors.
3. Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder
Try out Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder if you wish to capture a presentation, software demo, or instruction. Although this browser-based application might not be appropriate for video games, it is the finest free screen recorder for all other purposes.
When using Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder for the first time, you will be asked to download a small launcher program. After that, a control panel with more choices than in other desktop screen recording programs will be presented to you. You can record audio from your computer, a microphone, both, or neither, as well as video from your desktop or a camera.
If you want to record a clip for YouTube, for example, and don’t want to use a separate video editor to resize it later, you can record the entire screen, choose a region manually, or select one of the preset resolutions.
Additionally, for simplicity and speed, Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder has programmable keyboard shortcuts. Choose from a variety of output formats, including MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV, and many more. You can decide whether or not to record the cursor. Even while screen recording, annotations can be added.
When you’re done, you may email the recording to Google Drive or Dropbox, upload it directly to YouTube or Vimeo, save it as a video file or GIF, or all of the above. The clip can also be edited. If you choose this option, Apowersoft Video Editor will be downloaded as an extra component, allowing you to make quick edits before exporting your video in the format of your choice. a tool of the highest caliber.
The “Download desktop version” button, it should be noted, directs users to Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro. It has less features than Online Screen Recorder and is a trial version of a paid program.
Screencasting is a great way to record a screencast and share it with others. It can also be used to teach, entertain, and improve your presentations. To get started, you should first learn about the different types of screencasts and how to create them. Additionally, you should follow successful tips for creating engaging videos that will leave a lasting impression. Thanks for reading!