In this article, I am going to reveal the best screen recording software for Mac. Nowadays, there are many tools that allow the users to record the activities displayed on their monitors. In fact, some of these tools allow you to record multiple things at once in a very efficient manner. There is no doubt that these applications have wonderful features; however, they can be difficult to choose from as there are so many of them available in the market.
Screen-casting is a great way to create tutorials,walkthroughs and other visual aids for your customers. It’s also a good way to provide an extra level of support to those who would prefer to see how to solve an issue on their computer screen. But unless you have some free time and no budget, hiring a professional screen-caster isn’t always easy to swallow. Luckily, it doesn’t need to be that way. Let’s discuss the best free screen-recording software for Mac users.
Screen recording software on a Mac is absolutely essential if you want to create screencasts and recordings of your screen. This way, you can also narrate what you’re doing as you go along and create video tutorials. Whether you want to record video game, tutorial or just anything on your screen — there’s a huge list of options to help you do it all.
In a world where technology rules supreme, one of the most important and valuable software is screen recording software. When it comes to computers, Macs are particularly popular. However, the fact that Macs are so user-friendly means that there is no need for extensive features in screen recording software. I have already done a mini research based on the top screen recording software for PC so if you are interested in also looking for the best screen recording software for Mac OS X, simply read along.
What is Screen Recording Software?
Screen recording software is an application tool that lets you capture your computer screen to share with others. It allows you to create product-related videos, tutorials, lessons, demos, YouTube videos, and more. A screen recording software also enables you to record videos from the webcam and computer screen itself.
It is a free and open-source screen recording software on Mac that is used to record video and live to stream. One of the best screen recorders for Mac even provides real-time source and device capture, scene composition, encoding, recording, and broadcasting.
Open broadcaster software supports a variety of plugins to extend its functionality.
- Encoding using H264 and AAC
- Unlimited number of scenes and sources
- File output to MP4 or MLV
- Bilinear or lanczos3 resampling
It is an extensible multimedia outline work that is produced by Mac and even handles different organizations of digital video, picture sound, panoramic image, and interactivity. QuickTime screen recorder uses onscreen controls which are similar to a CD or DVD player.
It is an excellent movie software viewer that uses the latest streaming technology to access instant content on the Internet.
- Supports a small and attractive interface
- Limited recording and editing functionality
- Incorporates into the establishment program modules to elevate your QuickTime experience on the web
Apowersoft macOS video screen capture is a free yet good screen recorder for Mac. One can even pause and resume while recording so that you can control the recording contents flexibly.
It also supports recording the audio from the microphone and syncing the audio to the screencasts.
- Ultra-simple recording with a few clicks
- Flexible screen capture lets you do what you want
- It can schedule up tasks that automatically record for you
Monosnap is a free screenshot program for Mac that enables clients to make screenshots, clarify and transfer them to the cloud. Monosnap is the best screen capture that enables its users to save screenshots with ease.
- Highlight important details with pen, text, arrow, and shape
- Upload your snapshot to our storage in one click
- It even captures full screen, just part of the screen, or a selected window
It is a free and open-source cross-stage interactive media player and system that plays the most sight and sound documents and even DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and different streaming protocols. Most people tend to neglect the ability to record screens.
Though it’s not the most powerful recording tool, it’s still a choice to use while considering the convenient and advanced playing extensions on Mac.
- Stream media over the network or Internet
- It remotely controls playback from a browser
Part 2: The 10 Paid Solutions for How to Record Video on Mac
It is the most capable programming that catches screen for Mac which offers more than the standard implicit pick options with most of the versions of Windows, all while allowing a greater deal. Snagit even helps you provide better feedback, encourage teamwork, and create images that explain what you mean.
- Snagit helps to comment over your screenshots with arrows, shapes, and callouts
- The best screen recorder even adds visuals to your documentation
- Snagit helps to capture everything on your screen
2. Snapz Pro
Snapz Pro is a utility screen recorder on Mac that is made by Ambrosia Software. It is designed to record movie-like screenshots of a computer monitor doing various actions, such as a user moving their mouse across the screen, clicking on desktop icons, typing text, etc.
It has been used commercially in the production of many books. Though it is may not versatile now, you still can reconsider it as the best screen recorder.
- Makes easy work of screen captures
- Preview lets you vet captures before they’re saved
ActivePresenter is a great screen recorder that includes all the tools that are needed to record the screens, edit screencast videos, and create interactive e-Learning courses for Mac.
By now, it also adds webcam recording and green screen effect features.
- Full motion recording is best
- Smart and various annotations to use
- Configurable hotkeys let you set what you want to
The last one on the best Mac video screen capture list is Capto, with its programming for Mac you can easily record your screen, alter recordings and pictures at ease to enhance the content, and share it with the world.
Capto is perfect for teachers, students, creative professionals, and anyone in need of a powerful, yet easy-to-use screen capture tool.
- Tutorial video making with cursor effects, arrows, and texts
- Easy to make a screenshot and save it to your computer
Camtasia is your first go-to screen recording editor tool. With Camtasia, you can record virtually anything on your computer screen whether it be websites, software, video calls, or presentations.
It has a built-in editor so you won’t need to export your videos to another software for editing. For new users who are afraid of slow learning curves, Camtasia provides clear and easy-to-understand tutorial videos that take you through everything you need to get started.
Platforms: Windows, Mac, iOS
Pricing: $249.99 one-time fee.
Why you need it:
- Camtasia comes with advanced screen recording and presenting features, even allowing you to add interactive quizzes to your videos. There’s also a built-in assets library you can use for intros, backgrounds, icons, etc.
Where it lacks:
- It’s one of the most expensive choices on this list but the price is motivated by its complexity. So while you won’t have to worry about missing features, it’s not a fit if you don’t regularly use it.
CloudApp provides end-to-end visual communication with its screen recording, GIF creating, and screenshot capturing product.
Its screen recording feature offers quick controls to enable full-screen recording, audio-only, or webcam-enabled recordings. When you finish your screen recording, a link is made available for you to instantly share in Slack, Google Suite, Asana, Trello, or anywhere else you collaborate with your co-workers.
Platforms: Windows, Mac, iOS, Chrome
Pricing: Paid plans start at $9.95/user/month.
Why you need it:
- It’s a quick solution if you need to create GIFs often. There’s also lots of handy extra features you can use (video annotations, advanced analytics, do-not-disturb mode, etc.) so you don’t need other third-party tools.
Where it lacks:
- Limited free plan that only allows 90 seconds/recording.
Tips for choosing a screen recording app
When making your initial list of best screen recording software, go through these steps:
- Decide which features you need. Divide these into must-have and nice-to-have features.
- Opt for multi-platform tools if you have a large team or just need the tool to be available anywhere. Once you’re on a tight budget, also pay attention to how many users you can add to one plan.
- Give the trial version a test before making the purchase. Note that some tools won’t allow you to test all features for free so reach out to their customer support team to see if they can offer a demo.
- Don’t worry too much about sound editing options. You can use Krisp noise cancelling app to remove background noise and echoes on your recordings. Along with its HD voice feature, it will ensure your recordings sound just like studio ones,— without requiring post-production sound quality editing. You can also use Krisp to cancel chattering during live events and meetings on Zoom, Google Meet, and more.
Which Is Your Pick?
After evaluating a number of screen recording tools for Mac, we found that in some way, the above listed screen recorders are the best ones in the market by now.
When you go for Mac free screen recording software, please keep in mind, many of them will come with time-limited recording, or some features will be missing. But the software will be a good choice for those who don’t want to spend much money on the screen recording software.
As one of the screen capture tools for Mac OS, one – Wondershare DemoCreator is highly recommended for its cost-effectiveness. One tool in hand can record your gaming sessions or just capture your screen for making some great tutorial videos. Most Mac users have higher expectations of creating different videos. That’s why DemoCreator can record not only the Mac screen, but also the audio, webcam, and even provide the editing tools, which is pretty useful for tutorial video creation.
You don’t need to download another video editing software for your recorded video editing, just use these screen recording and video editing features with one program!
Now, you must have a clue in your mind and know which Mac screen recording tool suits you best!
How do I start Screen Recording a Video?
Here is a step by step process on how to start screen recording a video:
- Step 1) Download and install any of the above-listed screen recording software
- Step 2) Now, open the screen recording software from the Desktop icon
- Step 3) Click on the Start Recording button to start recording your screen
- Step 4) You can also record videos from the webcam of your PC or laptop to record external angles
- Step 5) Once you are finished with recording your video, stop recording and save your video by pressing the Stop button
- Step 6) Now, you can access your recorded video from the file directory set in the screen recording software
Macs have been known over the years for their elegance and performance when it comes to design and simplicity. Most people know that Mac is often referred to as Apple’s desktop computer computer line but little do they know that it also exists on mobile devices, that is, the Mac is also called iPhone. There has been a lot of demand in the market for any information regarding outstanding applications including the best screen recorder app.
One of the best ways to improve as a marketer is to record yourself every time you do it. The very first thing a lot of people do when they want to improve as a marketer is start making videos. And if you are one of those, then you are probably looking for screen recording software. There has been a lot of research done in recent years on the best screen recording software for mac.