If you are looking C programming software, let’s get started as I am here to help you find the best one. You will also learn about all the features of these softwares that makes it the best choice for beginners and experts alike. Some of these software are best for beginners and others are the best option for advanced programmers. Let’s take a look at the different versions of C programming software with free downloads for Mac and PC so you can choose which means it is easy for you to pick up when writing C programs.
Thousands of people want to learn C programming because they see an opportunity to build a scalable career in Software Development, Network Administration, Web Design and Entrepreneurism. However, choosing the right software for learning C programming is challenging. Therefore, we have reviewed the top C programming software for mac and pc and are presenting them here.
It is another very popular code editor that supports tabbed editing that helps in working with multiple open files in a single window. You can use Notepad++ with Windows and is super lightweight with some essential features.
- It is powerful, free & lightweight.
- Notepad++ can highlight brackets of C++ programs.
- Allow you to zoom out or zoom in the screen.
- It is highly customizable & supports tab editing.
- Solid features including code folding, syntax highlighting, search & replace, autocompletion & so much more.
PlatformIO is a software for a writing program in C language. It offers smart code completion for professional application development.
- It supports dark and light color themes.
- It offers advanced search facility for keywords, known or missed headers, etc.
- PlatformIO tool supports more than 200 embedded boards.
- This IDE can be used on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Atom is a simple editor for a writing C program. It can be customized to do anything without modifying a config file. This C Programming IDE enables you to search, preview and replace any text as you type in your program.
- It has an integrated package manager.
- This tool allows for cross-platform editing.
- You can find, preview, and replace text typed in a file or across the entire project.
- It offers a command palette that contains items that are used repeatedly.
- Supported platforms are Windows, Linux, and OS X.
Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is open-source code editor developed by Microsoft. It is one of the best C IDE for Mac which provides smart code completion based on variable types, essential modules, and function definitions. The tool enables you to control multiple versions of one program with ease.
- This IDE can work with the Git version control system.
- You can debug code easily.
- It supports numerous extensions for including new languages, themes, and more.
- Visual Studio Code can be used on Windows as well as Mac operating systems.
MonoDevelop allows developers to write desktop and web applications on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X quickly. You can also port .NET applications created with Visual Studio to Linux and Mac OS X with the same and a single code base for all platforms.
- Advanced Text Editing.
- Multiple language support.
- Integrated Debugger.
- Configurable workbench.
- Create web projects with full code completion.
Anjuta is a versatile IDE comprising a number of advanced programming facilities that focus on providing a simple and usable user interface for powerful and efficient development. Although it is open-source software, it only supports the Linux platform.
- Anjuta UI is created to be simple to operate with powerful tools.
- Easy wizards and project templates to get started with new projects.
- Fully integrated GDB for onboard debugging.
- Project management.
- Application wizard.
- Source editor.
- Profiler and many more tools.
C++Builder is a great way to get started in building high-performance C++ applications for Windows without database connectivity. It is not a free IDE, has a proprietary license. It works on Windows and OS X only.
- GUI Builder.
- Class browser.
- Supports refactoring.
CLion is a tool developed by Jetbrains. It helps you to quickly solve errors in the program. This IDE enables you to analyze the performance of your application with no hassle.
- Programmers can effortlessly run and debug programs.
- It helps you to test individual units of source code.
- This software helps you to manage your project and code effectively.
- CLion enables the developer to customize the editor.
- It automatically set formatting while you write code.
- Supported platforms are Linux, Mac, and Windows.
Kite is IDE for C that automatically completes multiple line codes. This editor supports more than 16 languages. It helps you to code faster with no hassle.
- It offers C documentation.
- This editor provides a function signature as you type.
- You will get a tooltip on mouse hover.
- Provides support in email.
- Uses machine learning models for C language.
It is one of the most popular, powerful and useful IDEs used by developers for C/C++ programming. It is an open-source software which is simple and easy to use. Originally, it was used for Java Programming but now it is used for various languages. Eclipse can run Windows, Linux and Mac OS. You can even file a bug on their website if you encounter any on the Eclipse IDE or Compiler.
- Great Graphical User Interface with drag-and-drop functionality
- Supports static code analysis
- Smart code completion
- Productivity Boosters
- Git integration
- Cross-platform support
- Rich Community
It is one of the most used IDEs and can run on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and Solaris. It is a free and open-source IDE that is written in Java. This IDE consists of an interface that comes with a drag-and-drop feature and a list of convenient project templates. You can use NetBeans to create C/C++ applications with dynamic and static libraries. It allows programmers to create C/C++ applications from existing code. Additionally, it provides a great set of tools for C/C++ programmers. NetBeans has numerous plugins that can extend the software. Developers can also remotely monitor their project’s development.
- Cross-platform support
- Rich set of plugins
- Supports multiple programming languages
- Simple and efficient project management
- Smart code editing
- Large support community
Programming Languages Supported: Java, HTML, HTML 5, C, C++ and others
It is a cross-platform source code editor which supports several languages and markup languages. Sublime Text has a Python application programming interface and has a slick user interface along with incredible features and amazing performance. Programmers can also add additional functions with numerous plugins that are community-built.
- Go To Anything- Quick navigation to symbols, lines or words
- Go To Definition- Can automatically generate a project-wide index of every class, method and function.
- Allows multiple selections
- Command Palette
- Powerful API
- Highly customizable
- Cross-platform supporting Mac, Windows and Linux
- Syntax highlighting
- Plugins and Integrations
Programming Languages Supported: C, C++, Java, and others
It is one of the highly configurable text editors which is free for personal and commercial developments. It was designed and developed by GitHub and has a very large community. A multitude of plugins are available for this editor which extends its features and makes it more customizable. It also supports OS X, Windows and Linux, and has a very simple interface to work on.
- Cross-platform support
- Smart autocompletion
- Package manager
- Plugins support
- Multiple panes
- Option to find and replace text
- Supports command palette
It is a free, open-source IDE that was developed in C++ using wxWidgets as a GUI toolkit. Code::Blocks is an extensible and highly customizable IDE that performs on all platforms including Linux, Mac and Windows. Any function can be added to this IDE by installing or coding a plugin. For e.g., functions of compiling and debugging are available because of plugins. Code::Blocks support various pre-built plugins as well as custom plugins. Programmers can easily tweak the IDE accordingly and can also easily navigate through the tab interface. Initially, it was created for C++ but now you can also run C programs.
- Compatible with Linux, Mac, and Windows
- Smart Code Completion
- Easy Navigation
- Integrated intelligent Syntax highlighting
- Full-featured debugger
- Rich Community
Programming Languages Supported: C, C++, Fortran
Another good IDE for C or C++ programming used by the myriad of programmers. It is an open-source software that can run on all major platforms including Windows, Linux and OS X. It provides great support for compilers and also allows users to know more about the errors by just clicking on it.
- Spell Checker
- Word Completion
- Clang Based Code Completion Engine
- Graphical Diff Utility
- Valgrind Support
- Git and Svn plugins
- Database Explorer
Programming Languages Supported: C, C++, PHP, and others
It is a complete IDE known for providing a highly visual and automated framework for fast development of an application. CodeWarrior was published by NXP Semiconductors for editing, compiling and debugging software. This IDE can run on Windows and Linux OS and can simplify the most complex activities making developer’s work simple and easy.
- Easy-to-use Graphical User Interface
- Allows a single gateway to all components
- Project Manager
- Provides a single gateway to all components
- Highly optimizable
- Powerful macro assembler
- Provides fast access to different source code elements like variables, classes and others
- Smart linker
- Programmers can build custom libraries
- Colorized, multi-paned and syntax-directed editor
Programming Languages Supported: C, C++, and Java
It is a full-featured IDE for C or C++ languages. For compilation, it uses MinGW port of GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) or any other GCC compilers. It is supported on Windows OS for Software Development.
- Support GCC based compilers
- Integrated Debugging
- Syntax highlighting
- Code Completion
- Project Manager
- Editable Shortcuts
- Tool Manager
- CVS Support
Programming Languages Supported: C and C++
If you have been windows user for a long time and would like to upgrade yourself to a Mac, it can be hard to find the best software for C programming. You are not alone in this. I bet most of new mac users are looking for best C programming software.