If you have chosen to start a career in programming, then the next question that surfaces is which language should you start with? There are a lot of software languages that exist in the world today. While there are a lot to choose from, if you want to stick with a certain platform, then your choices narrow down even further. Given this scenario, we will look at some of the best free ide for python mac to help get your life started.
Launched in 1991 by its creator Guido van Rossum, Python is one of the main programming languages used to automate specific repetitive tasks. The language has evolved enormously with the contribution of many developers/programmers. If you are new to programming, it is recommended to start with Python. Python interpreters are available on several operating systems such as Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Python is a versatile language, which means that it can be used in many applications ranging from Blender (3D modeling software) to web development. You can write Python code using a shell or shell for small projects. However, if you want to work on larger projects, we recommend using a dedicated code editor or an integrated development environment (IDE). Each Python IDE or code editor differs from the other regarding its features, user interface, and so forth. We have mentioned some majorly used ones as recommended by the Python community.
Before moving ahead, let us first see what IDEs and code editors are and the requirements for a good Python coding environment.
What are IDEs and Code Editors?
Whether you are new to this game or you are a veteran player, you need an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) or a code editor to showcase your coding skills and talent. An IDE is software that consists of common developer tools into a single user-friendly GUI (Graphical User interface). An IDE majorly consists of a source code editor for writing software code, local build automation for creating a local build of the software like compiling computer source code. Lastly, it has a debugger, a program for testing other programs. An IDE can have many more features apart from these & those vary for each IDE.
Code editors are also software; it is like a text editor with some added functionalities. It is not an IDE as an IDE has many developer tools. Depending upon the language one codes on the editor, it highlights special keywords and gives some suggestions. Sublime Text, Atom, Visual Studio Code are some of the popular code editors.
Requirements for a Good Python Coding Environment
We have listed some major and standard features and requirements required by every project in its build phase and after. A project can have more requirements than mentioned below, but these are the basic ones, and IDE must possess.
- Save and Reload Source Code
An IDE or editor must save your work and reopen everything later, in the same state it was in when you left, thus saving time for development.
- Execution from Within the Environment
It should have a built-in compiler to execute your code. If you are not executing it in the same software, then probably it is a text editor.
- Debugging Support
The debugger in most IDEs provides stepping through your code and applying breakpoints for the code’s partial execution.
- Syntax Highlighting
Being able to spot keywords, variables quickly, and symbols in your code make reading and understanding code much easier.
- Automatic Code Formatting
This is an interesting feature; the code indents itself as the developer uses loops, functions, or any other block code.
10 BEST Python IDE | Python Editors for Windows, Linux & Mac
Python code editors are designed for developers to code and debug programs easily. Using these Python IDEs(Integrated Development Environment), you can manage a large codebase and achieve quick deployment.
Developers can use these editors to create desktop or web applications. The Python IDEs can also be used by DevOps engineers for continuous Integration.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Python Code Editors, with popular features and the latest download links. The list contains both open-source(free) and premium tools.
Top Python IDEs and Code Editors Free and Paid
|PyCharm||Windows, Mac & Linux||Learn More|
|kite||Windows, Mac & Linux||Learn More|
|Spyder||Windows, Mac & Linux||Learn More|
PayCharm is a cross-platform IDE used for Python programming. It is one of the best Python IDE editors that can be used on Windows, macOS, and Linux. This software contains an API that can be used by the developers to write their own Python plugins so that they can extend the basic functionalities.
Features: Top 10 Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers
- Provides smart search to jump to any file, symbol, or class.
- Smart Code Navigation
- This Python editor offers quick and safe refactoring of code.
- It allows you to access PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, and many other databases from the IDE.
Kite is an IDE for Python that automatically completes multiple line codes. This editor supports more than 16 languages. It helps you to code faster with no hassle.
- It offers Python documentation.
- This editor provides a function signature as you type.
- You will get a tooltip on mouse hover.
- Provides support in email.
- Uses machine learning models for Python language.
Spyder is a scientific integrated development environment written in Python. This software is designed for and by scientists who can integrate with Matplotlib, SciPy, NumPy, Pandas, Cython, IPython, SymPy, and other open-source software. Spyder is available through Anaconda (open-source distribution system) distribution on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- It is one of the best Python IDE for Windows which allows you to run Python code by cell, line, or file.
- Plot a histogram or time-series, make changes in dateframe or numpy array.
- It offers automatic code completion and horizontal/vertical splitting.
- Find and eliminate bottlenecks
- An interactive way to trace each step of Python code execution.
IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is a default editor that comes with Python. It is one of the best Python IDE software which helps a beginner to learn Python easily. The IDLE software package is optional for many Linux distributions. The tool can be used on Windows, macOS, and Unix.
- Search multiple files
- It has an interactive interpreter with colorizing of input, output, and error messages.
- Supports smart indent, undo, call tips, and auto-completion.
- Enable you to search and replace within any window.
5) Sublime Text 3
Sublime Text 3 is a code editor which supports many languages including Python. It is one of the best Python editors that has basic built-in support for Python. Customization of Sublime Text 3 is available for creating create a full-fledged Python programming environment. The editor supports OS X, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
Price: Free Trial
- Allows you to highlight syntax.
- It has command Palette implementation that accepts text input from users.
- Handle UTF8 BOMs in .gitignore files
- Display badges for folders and file to indicate Git status
- Changes to a file are represented by markers available in the gutter.
6) Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code (VS Code) is an open-source environment developed by Microsoft. It is one of the best Python IDE for Windows that can be used for Python development. Visual Studio Code is based on Electron which is a framework to deploy Node JS applications for the computer running on the Blink browser engine.
- The editor provides smart code completion based on function definition, imported modules, as well as variable types.
- You can work with Git as well as other SCM providers
- Enable you to debug code from the editor.
- Provides extensions to add new languages, debuggers, themes to gain the advantage of additional services.
Atom is a useful code editor tool preferred by programmers due to its simple interface compared to the other editors. Atom users can submit packages and them for the software.
- Package Manager Integrated for Plugins support
- The feature of smart autocompletion
- It is one of the best Python editor which supports Command Palette
- Multiple panes
- Allow cross-platform editing
Jupyter is a tool for people who have just started with data science. It is easy to use, interactive data science IDE across many programming languages that just not work as an editor, but also as an educational tool or presentation.
- It is one of the best Python IDE that supports for Numerical simulation, data cleaning machine learning data visualization, and statistical modeling.
- Combine code, text, and images.
- Support for many programming languages.
- Integrated data science libraries (matplotlib, NumPy, Pandas).
PyDev is a third-party Python editor for Eclipse. It is one of the best IDE for Python which can be used in not only Python but IronPython and Jython development.
- It has interactive console shortcuts
- Allows you to create a Google App Engine (GAE) Python project
- Find and Go to definition
- Automatically import code to complete it.
- You can Configure Django integration.
Thonny is an IDE for learning and teaching programming, specially designed with the beginner Pythonista scripting environment. It is developed at The University of Tartu, which you can download for free on the Bitbucket repository for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Allows developers to view how their code and shell commands affect Python variables.
- It has a simple debugger.
- It is one of the best IDE for Python that provides support for evaluating an expression.
- Python function call opens a new window with separate local variables table as well as code pointer.
- Automatically spot syntax error.
The wing is a lightweight Python environment that is designed to give you a productive development experience.
Price: Wing Pro trial is free. Wind Personal and Wing 101 are paid versions.
- Immediate feedback by writing your Python code.
- Helps you to remove common errors and write better Python code.
- You can check for debug data and try out bug fixes interactively without restarting your app.
- Wing supports test-driven development with various frameworks like the unittest, pytest, nose, doctest, and Django testing.
Increase software development data science with a secure and supported Python distribution. ActivePython is software consisting of the Python implementation CPython and a set of various extensions to facilitate installation.
Price: Free for the community, however, coder, team, business. Enterprise versions are paid.
- It is one of the best IDE for Python which allows you to connect to your big data and databases, including Redis, MySQL, Hadoop, and MongoDB.
- Helps you to manage your data using, SciPy, Pandas, NumPy, and MatPlotLib.
- Supports machine learning models like TensorFlow, Keras, and Theano.
- Compatible with open-source Python so that you can avoid vendor lock-in.
- Uses OpenSSL patch for security.
Python is one of the most well-known languages and perhaps even the most popular. As with most major languages, you have a multitude of useful, practical, and powerful IDEs, whether they are paid or free.
Free, open-source Integrated Code Development Environment (IDE) for Python. Free, open-source software for easily building and deploying Web sites, Web services, and native applications, developed by the Python community under an open-source license.