PDF documents are a great way to send your files from one person to another. While many times it does not matter what format the document is in, there are plenty of instances where you are sharing sensitive information or creating a document that needs to adhere to standards, such as legal proof. The reason PDFs have become the de facto standard for distributing documents, whether you’re sharing sensitive information or not, is because they will look exactly the same on any computer they’re opened on.
Pdf files are often used by organizations, businesses and individuals to record their documents. Nowadays, pdf has become more and more popular to store data. People can edit and view pdf files in most operating system tools like windows or Mac OS X. However, if you want to edit or view pdf files on your android devices, there are many good free software for editing pdf documents that can help you easily on the Android operating system.
There is a lot of things you can do with Pdf documents, but sometimes it becomes too hard to do them, especially if you are not very tech-savvy. Don’t worry, though, because we have compiled for you a list of the best free software for editing Pdf documents.
There are plenty of free software that can help you edit pdf documents from applying a text watermark to changing the background color. Check out this list to find the best program for your needs.
Why use PDF editor software?
PDF (Portable Document Format) Editor software helps you edit your .pdf documents very easily and efficiently. It allows you to create, secure, and distribute various PDF documents. PDF editor also helps you to optimize PDF documents for various applications and print the PDF document.
Runs on: Windows, macOS, iOS (iPad)
Bluebeam Revu is a PDF editor created specifically for design and construction professionals. Aside from the typical PDF editing software functionalities, it converts CAD drawings into 2D and 3D PDFs. It also includes markup and robust collaboration tools for teams of all sizes.
Runs on: Windows, macOS
With its built-in OCR, FineReader lets you edit PDFs from scanned documents, including those with tables. You can compare two documents, even if they’ve got different file formats. FineReader also lets you schedule the automatic batch conversion of multiple PDFs.
Runs on: Windows, macOS
The Windows version of Foxit PhantomPDF offers ConnectedPDF, a cloud-based service that allows users to share and collaborate on PDFs, including tracking users’ behaviors. Its assistive technology complies with Section 508 technology standards to help people with disabilities access the PDFs.
This is another PDF text editor capable of editing your PDF files in Windows systems. Apart from the editing feature, Phantom PDF can also perform other functions, including merging and splitting PDFs, annotating and sharing PDF files, creating PDF forms, and converting PDFs to other file formats. What’s more, you can also add encryption to PDFs, redact PDFs, and sign PDFs.
- Provides a trial of 14 days to customers to try it out.
- With the OCR function, users can work with scanned PDFs.
- The trial version has limited features.
- The user interface of this PDF text editor isn’t as easy to use.
Price: It comes in three versions: standard, business, and education. The standard version is $159 in a one-time payment.
System Support: It supports all Windows systems as well.
Apache OpenOffice Draw
Best for adding images and splitting PDF files.
This is yet another wonderful open source PDF editor that you can use on Windows, macOS, and Linux. It is primarily a graphics editor, but it can efficiently edit PDF files as well. To edit a PDF, add the PDF Import extension and then edit the PDF files and save them as a new document.
Pros of Apache OpenOffice Draw:
- It works on multiple platforms.
- Apache comes with many editing features.
- It can spellcheck.
- You can add graphics to PDF.
Cons of Apache OpenOffice Draw
- It slows down with a large PDF.
- Certain functions, like Excel, can slow down your workflow.
- You can encounter some errors.
Best for editing PDF online and adding text.
PDFescape is an online open-source PDF editor that allows you to edit PDF for free unless they have more than 100 pages. You can’t change a text or image, but you can add yours. It has an efficient text tool and you can also draw on the PDF, redact information, add sticky notes, etc.
You can also add, delete, rotate, reorganize, and crop pages from the PDF. You can upload your PDF, use the online link, or create a PDF as well. To edit and download the PDF file, you don’t even need a user account. You can use its site across all Operating Systems, but its desktop version runs only on Windows 7 and newer ones and it’s not free.
Pros of PDFescape:
- You can do all the work online.
- Has many tools.
- Can add your own text and images.
- Delete or add PDF pages.
- No need for a user account.
Cons of PDFescape:
- You can’t edit existing texts
- Limits the size of PDF and length of its pages.
- The desktop version is only for Windows and not free
Best for editing scanned PDF documents.
PDF Architect is a free PDF editor open source for Windows. You can convert more than 300 file formats like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc to PDF with this pdf editor. It is an extremely efficient open-source editor that allows you to revise PDF documents according to your need. It is available for Windows 7 and above.
Pros of PDF Architect:
- It comes with advanced editing features.
- With OCR, you can make scanned documents editable and save them as PDF.
- You can add a digital signature to the document.
- It allows you to create PDF forms along with filling and editing existing ones.
- You can merge many PDF files together.
- You can also make your document secure by editing its metadata.
Cons of PDF Architect:
- The free version will leave watermarks on your document. Go for the Premium version to avoid watermark and enjoy other features.
Price: Free Version Available
- Standard: USD $69/year
- Professional: USD $69/year
- Pro+OCR: USD $129/year
This PDF reader and writer may not be as well-known as software, but it still made it on our list of the best free PDF editor tools for windows. It is also a word processor, which means that you can edit files easily like you would with a word document. AbleWord supports reformat images, add or edit headers and footers, and tables, among other useful functions. It also includes spell check and other functions.
- It is easy to use and also free.
- It also supports some Microsoft Word features.
- It has limited features.
- Its output is not as good as some other top PDF editors.
Price: This is a free PDF editor. Just install and use it.
System Support: It can be used to edit PDF on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows XP.
Nuance Power PDF Program to Edit PDF
The Nuance Power PDF editor for Windows can convert, annotate, edit and add encryption on your PDF documents. As another best PDF editor software, this PDF editor also boasts unique features such as voice note recognition technology. This makes it possible to add notes to your PDF files by simply speaking them instead of typing them out.
- Offers the ability to edit, convert and perform many other functions.
- Comes with voice note recognition technology.
- More expensive in comparison to other PDF editing alternatives.
- The UI is not user-friendly as some other PDF editors.
Price: The price for Nuance Editor is a bit on the high side, likely due to the voice note recognition technology. The cost starts at $149.
System Support: It is compatible with all Windows platforms.
Runs on: Windows
Gaaiho PDF Suite 5 has a built-in OCR, which makes scanned documents editable. It also allows batch processing of documents and integrates with Dropbox and Evernote for cloud-based sharing.
Best for deleting or adding text and images in PDF files.
PDFedit is a cross-platform open-source PDF editor. It can be used as a PDF reader and editor both. You can delete or add text and images to the file by choosing the part or section of the file you want to edit.
Pros of PDFedit:
- It is a lightweight app.
- It offers multi-platform support.
- You can personalize the PDF file.
- You can convert files to other formats.
- It allows you to password-protect the file.
- It has many more advanced options available.
Cons of PDFedit:
- You can face technical issues.
- Some features might not work.
- Sometimes you might get error messages.
Best for quickly editing PDF text and images.
Price: PDF Expert is available to download for free. Its one license is for 3 Macs that will cost you $79.99.
PDF Expert is a PDF editing platform for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. It allows transferring documents seamlessly between your devices. It has functionalities for reading, annotating, and editing PDFs. You can edit text, images, and links. It has the capacity to automatically detect the font, size, and opacity of the original text.
- PDF Expert provides the features for signing contracts.
- Search indexing helps to find things instantly.
- You can save the relevant discoveries into search history.
- It provides the features for managing pages like merging files, page numbering, crop pages, and split view mode.
Verdict: The platform will help you with filling forms. PDF Expert’s advanced settings will provide a good reading experience.
HiPDF – Simple Online PDF Editor
Developed by Wondershare Technology as a free online PDF editor, HiPDF gives you all the tools you need to stay on top of any PDF workflow. For editing PDF files, it allows you to add texts, images, and shapes. Moreover, it includes a massive collection of PDF utilities for file conversions, encryption, PDF compression, file and page management, OCR, API, and much more. It’s a one-stop online shop for all things PDF. Each function has a dedicated web page where you can upload your PDFs and other documents, process the task, and then download the file with no watermarks or other restrictions.
- Completely free, no strings attached; paid Pro option with richer features
- A comprehensive range of utilities comprising a free PDF editor, converter, compressor, OCR, and other tools
- Documents are uploaded to the web, where they may be at risk while in transit
- You will need a stable and fast Internet connection when working with large files or complex processes such as OCR
Which factors should you consider while selecting top PDF editor software?
You should consider the following factors while selecting a PDF editor software:
- Easy to use
- Scan and OCR(Optical Character Recognition) features
- Functionalities for PDF operations like Create, Edit, Share, Print, etc.
- Collaboration for multiple users
- Support and customer care service
For a lot of people, Microsoft Office is the go to office suite. It allows you to create documents, presentations and work with spreadsheets. Or perhaps you’d prefer Google Docs as that provides online versions of most of these tools and — ultimately — much better compatibility with other programs.
Have you ever wondered how you can edit pdf documents? Fortunately, there are software packages that allow you to edit your pdf documents and make them more suitable for reading. You can also use them to get rid of sensitive information as well. If you have a document in PDF format which is important, but it has some errors, then you may need to scan the document and then edit it. PDF editor software allows you to edit and modify text within a PDF file, including style, alignment and colors. If you want to work with these functions independently, then the standard version of Adobe Acrobat might just be what you are looking for.