Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio Code is an open-source (and free) IDE created by Microsoft. It finds great use for Python development
- VS Code is lightweight and comes with powerful features that only some of the paid IDEs offer
- Price: Free
The most notable features of Visual Studio Code include:
- One of the best smart code completion is based on various factors
- Git integration
- Code debugging within the editor
- It provides an extension to add additional features like code linting, themes, and other services
Supporting Platforms: Windows and MacOS only.
Microsoft has developed a full-featured IDE, Visual Studio compatible for Windows and MacOS only. It has also developed a code editor, visual studio code which is compatible for all major platforms. It comes with three versions; community version (free), professional and enterprise version (paid). Innumerous helpful extensions are easily available in its own marketplace. So, if your work requires or involves programming in different languages, you cannot get anything better than Visual Studio IDE.
The most popular Python Tools for Visual Studio (PTVS) is everything you need to code, debug and perform all the other essential tasks. This tool is very huge to download and install, so it is recommended only if you already have this installed. It is not a wise choice to download the entire package just for Python web development.
Supporting Platforms: Windows, macOS and Ubuntu
Visual Studio Code is an open-source code editor developed by Microsoft works perfectly for any programming language. It gives you a flawless Python development environment with an extension. It is a perfect Python Code Editor for professionals. Despite covering all the powerful features, it is lightweight which is why it is attracting many developers towards it.
- Intelligent code completion
- Linting for potential errors
- Unit testing
Price: Open Source.
Platform Support: WINDOWS, LINUX, Mac OS etc.
Screenshots For Reference:
Thonny IDE is one of the best IDE for the beginner’s who have no prior Python experience to learn Python development.
It is very basic and simple in terms of features which even the new developers easily understand. It is very helpful for the users who use the virtual environment.
Supporting Platforms: Windows, Linux and MacOS
It is a Python-specific IDE considered simple to use for beginners. Thonny comes as an in-built IDE along with Python 3 package. The simple user interface lets to find its features easily. Although it is meant for beginners, it has all the great features required for Python web development.
- Syntax error highlighting
- Code completion
- Step through expression evaluation
- Thonny provides the ability to the users to check how the programs and shell commands affect the python variables.
- It provides a simple debugger with F5, F6 and F7 function keys for debugging.
- It offers the ability to a user to see how python internally evaluates the written expression.
- It also supports the good representation of function calls, highlighting errors and auto code completion feature.
- It has a very simple and clean Graphical user interface.
- It is very friendly for the beginners and takes care of PATH and issues with other python interpreters.
- The user has the ability to change the mode for explaining the reference.
- It helps to explain the scopes by highlighting the spots.
- The interface design is not at all good and is limited to text editing and also has a lack of support for templates.
- Creation of plugin is really slow and there are many features which are lacking for developers.
Official URL: Thonny
- IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is a default editor that accompanies Python
- This IDE is suitable for beginner level developers
- The IDLE tool can be used on Mac OS, Windows, and Linux
- Price: Free
Most notable features of IDLE include:
- Ability to search for multiple files
- Interactive interpreter with syntax highlighting, and error and i/o messages
- Smart indenting, along with basic text editor features
- A very capable debugger
Image Source: Stack overflow
- PyCharm is a widely used Python IDE created by JetBrains
- This IDE is suitable for professional developers and facilitates the development of large Python projects
- Price: Freemium
The most notable features of PyCharm include:
- Smart code navigation
- Quick and safe code refactoring
- Support features like accessing databases directly from the IDE
- Jupyter is widely used in the field of data science
- It is easy to use, interactive and allows live code sharing and visualization
- Price: Free
The most notable features of Jupyter include:
- Supports for the numerical calculations and machine learning workflow
- Combine code, text, and images for greater user experience
- Intergeneration of data science libraries like NumPy, Pandas, and Matplotlib
- Spyder is an open-source IDE most commonly used for scientific development
- Spyder comes with Anaconda distribution, which is popular for data science and machine learning
- Price: Free
The most notable features of Spyder include:
- Support for automatic code completion and splitting
- Supports plotting different types of charts and data manipulation
- Integration of data science libraries like NumPy, Pandas, and Matplotlib
- PyDev is a strong python interpreter and is distributed as a third-party plugin for Eclipse IDE
- Being flexible, it is one of the preferred open-source IDE by the developers
- Price: Free
The most notable features of PyDev include:
- Django integration, auto code completion, and code coverage
- Supports type hinting, refactoring, as well as debugging and code analysis
- Good support for Python web development
- The wing is also a popular IDE that provides a lot of good features to ensure a productive environment
- Wing offers a 30-day trial version for the developers to check and understand the features of this IDE
- Price: US $95 – US$179 for commercial license
The most notable features of Wing include:
- It provides immediate feedback to your Python code
- It provides support for test-driven development with unit tests, Pytest, and Django testing framework.
- It assists in remote development
- Auto code completion is present
As its name conveys, it is a charm to Python developers which makes everything possible with Python, more easier to achieve. This cross-platform IDE is one of the best Python-specific IDEs. Pycharm comes with three different editions. One is PyCharm community edition which is an open-source IDE suitable for beginners. And the other is PyCharm Professional edition which is a premium version suitable for Python experts. The third version is an educational version to teach or learn Python development.
Supporting Platforms: Windows, Linux, and macOS
It is also considered as one of the best Python IDE for learning. Despite being a free version, PyCharm gives you all the essential toolkit required for a developer to perform basic tasks. Some of the best features of PyCharm community version lets the developer dive into the web development quickly. Once every developer begins to indulge in web development using PyCharm’s specific utilities, they are quickly drawn towards its premium version. The free version is limited to only a few features in web development, databases, and other tasks like remote debugging, reporting on test coverage, and performance profiling.
- Code navigation
- Syntax Highlighting
- Automatic formatting
Supporting Platforms: Windows, Unix, and macOS
It is the best Python IDE for beginners that get automatically installed along with Python by default. This suite is the right one to get started with Python. Its interactive interpreter, Python shell window is considered one of the best features of IDLE. It is a lightweight IDE meant for beginners. It is simple but not suitable for larger projects.
Supporting Languages: Ruby, Elixir, Python, PHP, etc
Supporting Platforms: Windows, Unix, Mac
It is a code editor that comes as an in-build text editor in MacOS and UNIX. You can also download and install it manually for windows. Plenty of plugins are available to enhance your Python web development and perform all the essential tasks.
It is an excellent code editor if you are comfortable scripting in Vim and if you have a decent OS to work. Again, it is recommended for Python if you are already using it for other languages.
- Syntax highlighting
- Code completion