Screencasting has started to gain a lot of popularity in the past few months. A number of blogs such as AppStorm, Sidebar and app advocate have been writing on screencasting software and how to make screencasts. But there’s not really a single place where you can read about all the top screen capture software or even see sample screenshots taken by the software. So I decided to make this post for everyone who is curious about best screen capture software free or wondering which is best screen capture software.
With the development of internet and computers, more and more software are developed in these field. When you want to share the screen with others, you can use the best screen capture software which can make your work done easily. We have collected the best screen capture software for windows, mac and android.
Screen capture software has played a significant role for computer professionals across the globe for a long period. It is also known as screencasting softwares and only takes seconds to record full screen, a window or any other part of the desktop. Screen recording is being widely used for various purposes in today’s world such as video tutorials, graphic design training and online tuition sessions etc. So screen recording software plays a very important role in their lives.
The market is filled with several kinds of software but why you should use them! There are lots of options and different download links available but choosing the right one can be difficult for you. Some of them are paid ones whereas some of them are free to use without making any subscriptions. This makes it hard for you to decide whether you have to pay for it or not and which one you should install on your computer without investing money. You need to do a lot of research if you want the best one which will help you to take a better decision.
Recommended: Best Screen Recorder&Video Editor in one: Wondershare DemoCreator
Wondershare DemoCreator is a screen recorder that has a built-in video editor tool, which means you can record and edit your video footage. Besides the basic video editing features, such as splitting, cutting, rotating, scaling, and trimming, there are some splendid recording and editing features. Using DemoCreator, you can
- Record the entire screen or just a part of your screen
- Capture video, system audio, webcam, and mic at the same time
- Add Markers to important points during recording
- Record high paced games at up to 120 fps
- Change video speed and add fade in and fade out with a simple drag
- Detach audio and record voice narration during editing and reduce the noise
Part 1: Choosing the Right Screen Recorder for Your Needs
To help you find out the right Windows screen recorder based on your needs, we have made a comparison form of some of the screen recording software according to their recording features, price, editing tools, save capacity, and the video effects.
|Name||OBS||Bandicam||Fraps||Atomi ActivePresenter||Camtasia||Icecream Screen Recorder|
|Check difference||Check difference||Check difference|
|Save video as||FLV, MP4, MOV, MKV||AVI, MP4||AVI||MP4, FLV, AVI, WMV, WebM, MKV||MP4, WMV, MOV, AVI||MP4, MKV, WebM|
|Direct Upload to YouTube||N||N||N||Y||Y||N|
|Use||Commercial Use||Y||Y||Y||Free: No Paid: Yes||Y||Free: No Paid: Yes|
Part2: Top 10 Best Screen Recording Software
1. OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) – Best Free Game Recording Software
OBS is a free and open-source software set for recording and live streaming. It works on Windows, Mac, and Linux and is written in C and C++ code. For gamers, this is the perfect software to use if on either of those computers as OBS allows live streaming of the games that can be shown through YouTube and Twitch. There’s no delay in this because the OBS utilizes the GPU, Graphics Processing Unit, in live streams with up to 60 frames per second.
Check the video below to learn a step-by-step guide on how to record games with OBS: https://www.youtube.com/embed/92bGkQKeBsQ
It’s free, but it also means it doesn’t have the advanced features other software would have, which gamers would be willing to invest in.
If using a Mac, it could crash because any bugs could be in conflict with Mac’s system, while it looks stable on Windows.
2.Icecream Screen Recorder – Best Budget Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is a recorder that captures the entire computer screen or certain areas of the screen. With this software, webinars, video calls, and conferences can be recorded with its in-built, user-friendly interface. There are several pros and cons to this software.
On the pro side, it records videos in MP4, MKV, and WebM format, allows audio and webcam recording, has on-screen annotating while screen capturing, and provides screenshots to be in JPG or PNG format.
On the con side, it offers only a limited fiction and editing option for free users, who only have 10 minutes of screen recording time, and its recordings can’t be used for commercial purposes.
Difference between the free and paid versions?
There is no time limit in the paid version, the video format and video codec is diverse in format, and has many features the free version doesn’t have. It includes scheduled screen recording, license to use 2 computers, and priority support.
3. Bandicam – Great Game, Screen, and Webcam Recording
Bandicam is a screen recorder for Windows that records everything on the screen with high-quality video. Bandicam allows the recording of a certain area on the screen, webcam, or game that uses DirectX/OpenGL graphic software. It enhances the recording performance with a specific encoder, allowing the recording of the main subject at high speed and a high compression ratio in perfect quality.
Its pros include the system’s hardware-accelerated recording, the recorded file size being smaller than other software (which means more space to save), and permission to film 24 hours of footage in 4k Ultra High-Definition.
The cons are that it isn’t supported to live stream and that a watermark is seen on top if using the free version.
Difference between the free and paid versions?
The main difference is that: the free version can be used up to 10 minutes with a watermark.
4. Camtasia – For Educational Materials, Product Overviews, and Marketing Videos
The TechSmith Camtasia Studio is a two-in-one software that serves as a personal screen recorder and a video maker & editor. It can make some very imaginative, professional-style videos, which can be played for a variety of projects necessary for such an undertaking. Camtasia Studio has no limits to what it can do, showcasing its versatility as a video-producing software that is better than the competition. The latest version has brought some impressive additions including new callout options, improved sharing tools, and a revamped interface. No separate license is required for Windows and Mac, meaning users can use Camtasia Studio for both systems, whatever is chosen. As for its pros and cons:
- No Time Restrictions – For a few minutes for a couple of hours, it allows users to produce and edit videos at any length.
- Everything Can Be Recorded – Computer screens, webcams, and any special audio such as voiceovers can be featured. It will be like PIP, in some cases.
- Editing – Converting to any file format and editing it up is easy. Anything can be added or cut from the video, as part of its specialty.
- Import & Export – .camproj, .camrec, and .avi file formats are acceptable.
- Works With Other Products – Any other software can be utilized with Camtasia Studio, such as Microsoft products and YouTube.
- The Need for Software – All users must download the Camtasia software with specific requirements for Windows and Mac, and there is no web-based version as of now.
- DV Camera Support – Or lack thereof, as Camtasia does not use the live recording from a digital video camera.
- Software Updates – Free updates are only allowed to any upgrade of the version, and not the brand new version, in which it must be paid for.
5. CamStudio – Free Screen Capturing For YouTube
CamStudio is a software that records your computer screen activity including the audio and creates AVI videos out of that.
Learn how to record your Pc screen in HD with Camstudio
This is good for Windows users to make quick screencasts, download them, and export as an .avi file. Special features include cursor highlighting, session recording, panning automatically, and recording with sound.
On the downside, it’s too simple of software in that there aren’t any great features it has, and only .avi is permitted for exporting. It’s also the anti-gamer software, as it is impossible to work with if recording.
6. ShadowPlay – Best Recording PC Gameplay
ShadowPlay is a free software for streaming and recording gaming moments. ShadowPlay uses Nvidia Geforce GPU technology, which helps the PC’s CPU ability to run the game fluidly. It comes in two modes, shadow mode, and manual mode. In shadow mode, all gameplay from the last 20 minutes will be recorded with just one press of a button and older moments will be deleted. The manual mode is standard, meaning unlimited recording can be manually turned on and off. It records with 4K resolutions at 130 Mbps, which means amazing quality will be seen.
Video Tutorial: How To Use Nvidia Shadowplay
- It’s Free – The only thing needed is a GTX 650 video card or better.
- Easy to Use – Set shortcuts, location for downloads, and all settings for recording.
- Good Quality – Can set to High, Medium, and Low, or 50Mbps, 22Mbps, and 15Mbps.
- Lack of Features – It can be only recorded in 1080p and the frame rate cannot be set.
- The need for a GTX 650 – Again, it’s free, yet this is needed before it can be downloaded.
7. Xsplit Broadcaster – Screen Recorder for Live Stream
Xsplit Broadcaster is an application for streamlining and in-built audio/video mixing. It is marketed for video game live streaming, but it is also a great piece of software for live streaming videos with its easy-to-use advanced tools. There are three formats of Xsplit – Free, Personal, and Premium. Free is for beginners in streaming and would like to give XSplit a try. The Personal License gives users access to full HD transmitting at 60+ fps, strong audio codec support, and advanced product features. For the Premium License, this is highly recommended for commercial use and has all-access to XSplit’s groundbreaking features, including a Live Preview Editor, Audio Mix Preview, and adding custom script plugins and effects with source transitions.
Video Tutorial: How to Use Xsplit Broadcaster https://www.youtube.com/embed/Epe8bmUaaP8
- Easy and automated in usage
- Drag and drop-style graphic integration of recordings
- Use of third parties with files and URLs
- Variety of tools and advanced features
- Quick technical support
- Account works for both Broadcaster and Gamecaster with one payment
- Doesn’t work well with the Diamond CG500
- Poor handling with social media updates
8. Fraps – Best Light Screen Recording For Games
Fraps is a tool with a size of just 2.3 Megabytes being used. It might not have as many features as other software similar to theirs, but the features are among the best. It captures videos at 7680×4800 (!) resolution with frames that can be set up between 1-120 fps. It can be used as a benchmark and show the total frames per second while gaming to see that it is working fine.
- It shows all statistics of performance and measures the average performance rate it gives. These statistics can be saved to a separate file in your PC for future reference.
- On the downside, its features are very limited and you will only be able to record and stream videos with some added information.
The difference between the free and pro versions is that a user who registers has no limit to the length of their video, has no watermarks, and can capture screenshots in PNG, JPG, and TGA format.
Screencast-O-Matic is a free screen recording software that is compatible with Windows and Mac. It also can be bought for more tools to enhance the screen recording. Here are its pros and cons.
- The easy option of saving videos in different formats
- The easy option to upload it all on YouTube
- The easiness of the whole software
- There are no optional cursor tools
- When uploading on YouTube, the watermark is included
- The editing tools are too basic and not advanced enough
10. Ezvid Video Maker
Ezvid Video Maker is a software for screen recording where, in a few clicks, recording the computer screen leads to high-resolution movies being produced. Ezvid also allows recording for a specific region (as regions between North America and Europe are different) and permits title, description, and keyword addition to the recordings.
- Videos are automatically saved, even during recording
- Slideshows with screen capturing
- Features voice synthesis
- The on-screen narration during the recording
- Direct uploading to YouTube
- Has webcam recording
- Recording time restricted to 45 minutes
- YouTube only for direct uploading
- No random settings for screen recordingV
11. Active Presenter
ActivePresenter by Atomi Systems is an all-inclusive screen recorder and video editor in one. Video producers, YouTubers, trainers, and instructors looking for how-to videos, video demos, and step-by-step instructions find this software valuable.
The ActivePresenter screen recorder comes with all of the features and effects necessary for screen recording and video editing. If you use the free features on the software’s free version, your videos will not have a watermark.
Users can test ActivePresenter features without any limitations in terms of time and functionality. After recording the video, users can clip, trim, split, modify the loudness and speed, add annotations, animations, and closed captions.
The premium version allows you to access the complex audio and video editing features to produce amazing videos and software simulations. Its standard edition costs $199 per license, and it allows you to export most files without watermarks commercially.
You can also purchase the Pro edition at $399 per license, and you get to enjoy all of the above with no watermarks on all files exported.
Educational institutions, non-profit organizations, students, and teachers/staff can leverage the Pro version at a $199 educational discount.
- It’s easy to use
- It has been customized for eLearning content
- The free version has no limitations
- The price is so high
FlashBack is a free screen recording software that allows users to record sound webcam and screen. One of the notable advantages of this tool is that it has no recording time limits.
When using this software on a multi-monitor system, you can leverage its ability to record on multiple monitors or limit the recording to a single monitor. Moreover, you can start and stop scheduled recording at specific times or after a certain application starts.
There are two versions of the FlashBack screen recording tool. One is FlashBack Pro, a premium software, while FlashBack Express is its free version.
The obvious difference between these two screen recording plans is that FlashBack Express doesn’t have annotations, effects, and video editing features.
FlashBack Express users can save videos as WMV, MP4, or AVI or directly post to YouTube. Users with the premium version get to enjoy the ability to save videos in QuickTime, standalone EXE formats, Flash, GIF, and password-protect the video files.
- Schedule recordings
- User-friendly editing tools
- Can record several monitors simultaneously
- The free-version includes watermarks on the file outputs
Bandicam, a screen recording software by the Bandicam Company, prides itself on being the most powerful game recording tool for gamers. The software can record various 2D/3D games of 144 frames per second in the 4K UHD resolution.
In addition, this screen recorder can record a full screen, a portion of the screen, webcam, or game console videos. As much as this screen recording software is one of the robust tools, it doesn’t come with video editing tools.
With the help of Bandicut, a video cutter for Bandicam, you can split, trim, and join the screen recordings. Its free version has a 10-minute duration and watermarks on all output files.
Visit this page for updated pricing.
- It can record webcam, sound, and fullscreen
- The software can record 2D/3D 4K UHD resolution up to 144 frames
- It is a lightweight package
- It doesn’t have an in-built video recording feature
- It limits its video output formats to MP4 and AVI
Find out more Bandicam like tools here.
Depending on your screen recording needs, you can choose to go for Icecream if you need basic video editing features. The premium version is quite basic, with the ability to only trim recordings at the beginning and end. Most people may find this application limited, but it’s ideal for basic screencasts.
This software has two versions; the free and premium plans. If you opt for the free version, you will have access to a five-minute duration limit and have one video output format (WEBM).
But the premium version has several video output formats such as AVI, H.264, AVI, and MOV. Besides, the premium version doesn’t include watermarks like the free version. You’ll get to leverage scheduled recordings, trimming features, and customizable watermarks.
- On Windows 10, you can easily zoom in and make drawings during the screen recording session.
- It has a simple and user-friendly interface.
- You can record purely on your PC.
- It has very minimal video editing features
- It sometimes has poor audio quality.
15. Free Cam
Free Cam is a free-to-use screen recorder for Windows 10, without annoying pop-up ads. This package has video and audio editors, simplifying the need to change the screen recording video. Free Cam has a user-friendly and straightforward user interface.
The software allows you to record a full screen, single video, or a specific region. You can also highlight your mouse while screen recording, making it quite useful. Additionally, the software allows users to record system sounds, background music, and voiceovers.
Moreover, you can easily fine-tune all the recorded videos, trim, alter audio, and reduce noise on your screen recording with the Free Cam software. Notably, this software allows users to upload videos directly to YouTube and save them on PC.
- The software can eliminate background noise
- It has a simple and easy to use UI
- It can directly upload videos to YouTube
- It doesn’t have the webcam recording feature
- The UI is quite outdated
How do I start Screen Recording a Video?
Here is a step by step process on how to start screen recording a video:
- Step 1) Download and install any of the above-listed screen recording software
- Step 2) Now, open the screen recording software from the Desktop icon
- Step 3) Click on the Start Recording button to start recording your screen
- Step 4) You can also record videos from the webcam of your PC or laptop to record external angles
- Step 5) Once you are finished with recording your video, stop recording and save your video by pressing the Stop button
- Step 6) Now, you can access your recorded video from the file directory set in the screen recording software
Screen capture is a digital copy of the computer screen which is stored in a computer’s memory. With this copy, the information in the computer can be shown on another device – it can be sent over to someone, or the image of it can be printed out on a printer. There are many ways to capture what is seen on the computer and transfer to another device, but most of these methods require a lot of time and skill.
Either you want to create a gaming video and upload it to Youtube or you are involved in some business and now must take important decisions. I bet you also wanted to record your PC screen with system sounds to demonstrate how something works or how some software is used, etc. But just pressing the ‘print-screen’ button on your keyboard doesn’t give a satisfactory result.