Free accounting software for small business NZ are designed to cater to all your accounting needs. This will prevent you from having to make complex calculations in order to get the accurate results that you want. It will also allow you to electronically track your finances, thereby ensuring that you’re never overcharged.
Accounting software is a powerful tool that makes it easy for small business owners, accountants and bookkeepers to keep track of their finances. It can be confusing to sort through all of the various systems out there, so we’ve reviewed several options to narrow down the list to the best free accounting software NZ.
Reckon One is an affordable online accounting software for small businesses. It includes features such as invoicing, payroll and cash flow management, which helps users manage finances easily. With an intuitive interface and a customizable dashboard, you can view financial performance in real-time. It is an ATO-approved and single touch payroll ready solution which helps you stay compliant and in control of your finances.
Reckon One pricing
Xero provides all the useful tools and features to run your business, from sending invoices to monitoring business profitability and customising the software.
Widely used by many independent reviewers, business owners, accountants, and bookkeepers, Xero certainly has the best accounting software in NZ!
From their 3 plans, you can choose between Starter, Standard, and Premium options.
The Starter plan starts from $27.50/month, affordable and comes with limited features since you can only send 20 invoices and quotes as well as make 5 bills.
On the contrary, the Standard Plan lets you create invoices and bills without limit, record expenses for 1 person, and reconcile bank transactions, to name a few.
If your business is already established, the Premium Plan could be what you need. In addition to the features of both Starter and Standard plans, the premium plan enables you to transact with international clients through different currencies.
Also, Xero has an online app store with over 800 programmes, including Xero Expenses and Xero Payroll. These can be added into your software to give your business an edge.
- Affordable starter plan
- Can link to third-party apps (like Stripe and Vend)
- 24/7 customer support
- Starter plan lacks features
FreshBooks is a Canadian-based company that was founded in Toronto in 2003. It uses cloud-based accounting and invoice software that can be accessed via iPhone, Android, and iPad apps.
It is our choice for best overall accounting software because it’s easy to use for business owners with little or no accounting experience, offers robust features and helpful functions, is reasonably priced, and can be used on the go.
FreshBooks’ features include:
- Payment reminders
- Recurring invoices with customizable options including due dates and discounts
- Online credit card payments
- Multi-currency and language billing
- Automatic tax calculations for sales tax
- Tax-friendly expense categories
- Remembered vendors
- Time tracking with a Chrome browser extension
- Bank deposits, recurring payments, and auto bills with bank integration
- Tax help integrations with tax apps, estimates, deductions, and filing tools
- Easily integrates with other products including GSuite and Gusto
FreshBooks’ pricing is tiered as follows:
- Lite: $15 per month for the self-employed business owner with five billable clients
- Plus: $25 per month for businesses with 50 billable clients
- Premium: $50 per month for growing businesses supporting unlimited billable clients
- Select: Custom features and pricing for businesses with unlimited billable clients
FreshBooks may also offer discounts or bundled pricing if you pre-pay, so make sure you check the website for any offers before you sign up.
Looking for simple and organised accounting software? If yes, then you might want to try Wave.
You may find it hard to believe, but you won’t have to pay anything to use their products. Both accounting and receipt scanning software are free of charge.
With a smart dashboard, you can conveniently view your income, expenses, invoices, payments, and cash flow. These will also make setting up your tax return a breeze.
Even though Wave is free to use, the bank feed (data transferred between the bank and the software) and your business information are secure and treated with confidentiality.
- Simple and organised reports
- No monthly and establishment fees
- Secured bank information
- Suitable only for small companies
QuickBooks is an accounting software developed and marketed by Intuit. Its latest cloud-based release was in 2019, but it also offers separate desktop options you can purchase and download. Its products are typically geared toward small and medium-sized businesses, and over seven million businesses use this software.
We chose it as our runner-up for best accounting software because it is easy to use for business owners with no accounting experience. It’s also quick to set up, reasonably priced, and offers tools and features that are helpful for small business accounting. It keeps everything organized in one place and keeps your business tax-ready all year long.
Features of QuickBooks include:
- Financial institution integration as well as integration with PayPal, Square, Shopify, and more
- Help to file quarterly and annual tax returns with user guides and exporting tax data
- Sales tax calculations, returns, and recorded tax payments
- Automatically sort transactions and expenses into tax categories
- Track expenses in one place
- Scan receipts and attach them to invoices
- Share with your accountant or export documents
- Create customized reports with cashflow tracking visible on your dashboard
- Track miles with your smartphone’s GPS
QuickBooks offers tiered pricing so you can pick the best plan for your needs:
- Simple Start: $25 per month for businesses just getting started
- Essentials: $50 per month for managing growing businesses, with up to 3 users
- Plus: $80 per month to help you get better organized and manage projects, inventory, and contractors, with up to 5 users
- Advanced: $180 per month to help your business grow with analytics, deeper insights, exclusive apps, automated workflows, and a dedicated support team, with up to 25 users each of whom gets customized access
Contact QuickBooks directly to see which specific features are included in each tier.
Aussie-made, MYOB provides proven accounting solutions to a wide range of businesses. It can streamline your bank feeds, payments, and cash flows.
It offers several products that cater to different business needs. Whether you need payroll, accounting, or an ERP solution, they have them at competitive rates.
Their Essentials’ plans are designed for SMEs, while their ERP solution is for industrial-type ventures and provides you with real-time visibility and statistics.
MYOB software can be used on any device like your phone, laptop, or tablet. Hence, you can work on your accounting and bookkeeping anywhere you want.
With over 300 apps available, you can also upgrade your MYOB software to drive your business. And on top of that, their customer support team is ready to assist you 24/7.
- Accurate reporting
- Competitive rates
- High-security standards
- 24/7 customer support
- Expensive monthly subscriptions
Sage Business Cloud Accounting
Sage Business Cloud Accounting, formerly known as Sage One, is a global brand that offers online accounting and business services. It was founded in 1981 in Newcastle, England, as a way to develop estimating and accounting software specifically for small businesses. It’s now cloud-based and allows you to choose your industry, company size, and needs. It will match you with specific accounting solutions and is used by over six million businesses.
Sage Business Cloud Accounting is a reputable company, provides software that doesn’t require any accounting knowledge, and is set up for use by multiple users. Your accountant can use the software and access your books for no additional fees.
Sage Business Cloud Accounting’s features include:
- Manage business finances and cash flow
- Accept and receive payments
- Create and send invoices
- Manage payroll
- Available on all devices so you can check your financials on the go
- Integrate with your financial institution and other apps including AutoEntry, Zync, and more
- Tax compliance tools
- Dashboard view with easy-to-read financial reports and analysis
- Inventory control
- Forecast cash flow
- Share access with your accountant in real-time on any device
- Add-ons such as human resources management and estimating
Pricing is tiered for Sage Business Cloud Accounting as follows:
- Accounting Start: $10 per month for entry-level accounting to help manage cashflow
- Accounting: $25 per month for powerful cloud accounting with cashflow tools, invoice management, and quote/estimate capabilities for unlimited users
Contact the company directly for specific features your business may need.
Software systems are very important in any business, especially when it comes to controlling finances. When it comes to small businesses, finding an accounting software that can handle the specific needs of your business is one thing but furthermore finding a suitable accounting software for your individual needs is another.