You’ve been wanting to make some great screen videos, but you don’t know how. No matter how good your video editing skills are, there’s a good chance that you won’t be able to get your videos ranked well on YouTube. That’s where Vlc Media Player comes in. With Vlc Media Player, you can easily make high-quality videos that look great and rank well on Google. Check out our guide to learn exactly how to do it!
How to Capture Screen Video With Vlc Media Player
To capture screen video using Vlc media player, you first need to install the software on your computer. Once installed, open the program and click on the “Capture” tab. In this tab, you’ll need to select the type of video you want to capture – be it a video or audio clip.
Next, enter a destination for the captured video – either your computer or phone. Next, choose how long you want the video to last – between 5 and 30 minutes is common. Finally, click on the “Start Recording” button and wait for the software to start capturing videos.
VLC is a free and open-source multi-purpose application for audio and video playback and conversion. VLC plays a variety of video formats, including DVD media, on many operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
VLC can also encode a live feed of your desktop, called a screencast. Create a screencast to demonstrate a software product or website, instruct viewers on how to use an application, or document an error or bug to help resolve a problem.
How to Download VLC
To begin, download and install the recent version of VLC, which is updated often. At the time of this guide, the latest version was 3.0.16, but VLC doesn’t change its interface often, if ever.
On Windows and Mac
Go to the download page and select the version of VLC for your operating system. Installation is straightforward, and you can safely walk through the install wizard to get it running.
Linux users should use the distribution’s package manager instead. VLC is open-source, and it’s a Linux favorite. The package name is usually vlc. On Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint, or another version based on these distributions, open a terminal and enter this command:
sudo apt install vlc
Set Up the Screen Capture
Once you have VLC, there are two ways to set up a screen capture: use the point-and-click graphical VLC interface or a command line. The command line lets you specify more advanced capture settings, such as desktop crop size and index frames, to make a video that is easier to edit. Most of the time, though, this is more than you need. The graphical VLC interface is easier to use.
VLC is a typical media player with an orange traffic cone icon. You’ll find it among your other applications; the exact location depends on your operating system.
- With the VLC window open, select Media.
- In the Media menu, choose Open Capture Device.
- In the Open Media dialog box, select the Capture mode drop-down arrow and choose Desktop.
- Set the Desired frame rate (a number between 10 and 30). The higher the frame rate, the smoother the video will play, but the file will be larger. Your computer hardware determines the video quality that it can handle. Generally, 24 and 30 are safe; 24fps is the standard for American TV.
- Select Show more options to reveal additional settings. Then, set the Caching option lower for less memory usage or higher if your system has enough memory.
- Select the drop-down arrow next to Play and choose Convert. This encodes the live desktop into a save file.
Set Up Your Destination File and Encode Options
The window will shift to let you set up your encoding options.
- In the Source text box, enter screen://.
- Select the Profile drop-down arrow and choose a profile. This determines which codecs VLC will use to create your file and which devices can play it. The default Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4) is a good option for most situations.
- Select Browse to locate a destination folder. Choose an output folder, and enter a Name for your file in the field at the top. Then, select Save.
- When you’re ready to start your capture, select Start.
- The smaller window disappears, and the VLC interface displays. It looks almost like before, but the playback bar at the bottom lights up like it’s playing. That indicates that VLC is recording.
- To stop recording your stream, select Stop in the VLC playback controls.
How to screen record with vlc mac
VLC is widely known as an open-source and cross-platform multimedia player. This free but powerful software is acclaimed by users around the world ever since it’s released, and it can be regarded as one of the most popular media players. However, only part of its users knows that this player can also work as a screen recorder to capture videos on computers.
Actually, the built-in recording tool enables VLC Media Player to capture screens and take screenshots without downloading any other software. You can find many recorders to record your screen online or offline, but not all of them are safe and reliable. To ensure the security of your recordings, VLC Media Player is what you are looking for.
As mentioned above, VLC Media Player is a cross-platform multimedia player. That means this software is also compatible with macOS, and you can screen capture with VLC on your Mac, like doing that on a Windows PC. While the VLC Player works similarly on those two systems, some differences exist between the user interfaces.
If you feel confused about how to record screen with VLC on a Mac, the following tutorial may be helpful.
Method of VLC Recording Screen on Mac:
Step 1. Launch VLC Player on your Mac. Navigate to the “File” option at the top of the screen and select “Open Capture Device…” to set the video source.
Step 2. When a new window pops up, click on the “Capture” tab and select “Screen” as the video source.
Step 3. Hit the “Settings” button on the same window and customize the frame rate. Like on Windows PC, 10-15 fps is suitable for your recordings unless something moves too fast on the screen.
Step 4. Click “Open” and minimize the VLC recording window. Then, hit the “Playback” button on the top toolbar and click on “Record” to capture your screen.
This post offers two methods of VLC recording screens on different systems, and both are effective. However, as a media player, VLC cannot totally replace some specialized screen recorders. For instance, it’s tough to capture only part of the screen with this software, and the size of the output files is usually too huge, so you have to find a file compressing tool to reduce it. Moreover, VLC doesn’t support recording screen and audio simultaneously, and this problem bothers many people. You can only record the screen and audio separately and sync them after recording.
Luckily, there are plenty of powerful screen recorders on Windows and Mac that can solve every problem you may have in using VLC Media Player. EaseUS RecExperts is one of the notable and reliable screen recorders you can choose. This software allows you to select the recording region to capture the screen or take screenshots effortlessly. It also supports recording the screen with audio and webcam. Thus you will be able to make many kinds of videos by yourself.
One of the most important features that distinguish EaseUS RecExperts from other recorders is the easy-to-use built-in video editing tools. There is a trimmer for you when it’s necessary to remove some parts from the captured video and audio files.
Steps to Use the Alternative of VLC Screen Recorder:
Step 1. After downloading, launch the screen recording software. You’ll encounter a small panel on your screen with many options.
Step 2. On the panel, one can record the entire screen by clicking on the “Full Screen” option or a specific region by clicking on the “Region” option. Now, drag your cursor onto the screen to select the desired area.
Step 3. For webcam recording, attach a webcam and click on the “Webcam” button from the main panel. Also, one can further choose the output format, quality, and frame rate from the settings.
Step 4. Now, click on the “REC” button to start your recording.
Step 5. Click on the “Stop” button once you are done. The recorded video will show up on the screen when a user stops recording. The editing features offers features like trim, rename a file or extract audio, and more. You can also take a screenshot by simply pressing F11.
How to record youtube videos with vlc media player
Screen recording software can help you with teaching or taking online courses, streaming gameplay on your PC, and much more. In this tutorial, we’ll take you through all the steps to use VLC to record screen activity.
How to enable the VLC record button
If you weren’t already aware of the VLC record video feature, you’re not alone. VLC doesn’t exactly advertise this function, and the VLC record button is typically hidden from the user interface. Follow these simple steps to enable it:
- Open VLC on your desktop.
- Click on the View menu in VLC.
- Select Advanced Controls.
- The VLC record button should appear next to the Play button.
How to use VLC to record a video
Recording a video with VLC is fairly straightforward. To do it, though, you’ll need to ensure that the VLC record button is ready to go. So, before you complete the steps below, be sure that you’ve already enabled the VLC record button as we discussed in the section above.
Once you’ve enabled the record button, let’s walk through how to record with VLC. We’ll start with a step-by-step guide to record a screen with VLC.
- Click on the Media tab from the top menu.
- Scroll down and select Convert / Save.
- Choose the Capture Device tab at the top right of the window.
- In the Capture Device window, at the top right, click the Capture mode dropdown and select Desktop.
- Choose your preferred frame rate from the Desired frame rate for the capture dropdown menu.
- Click Convert / Save at the bottom right corner of the window.
- Name your file and choose its destination.
- Click the Save button.
- Click Start to start recording your screen.
How to use VLC for video capture from a disc
If you have a video that you’ve recorded to a DVD or Blu-ray disc, you may find yourself wondering how you can quickly grab a recording of part or all of your video. Ripping a video clip from a disc can be a time-consuming process that involves finding the right software and messing with a lot of video and audio settings. Instead, why not record the video directly from your media player?
VLC’s video capture capabilities don’t stop with its ability to record a desktop, though. You can also capture videos from discs using VLC. Assuming that you’ve enabled the VLC record button, this process is quick and easy. Here’s how:
- Start playing the disc using VLC media player.
- Click VLC’s Record button next to the Play button.
- When you reach the end of the segment that you want to record, click Record again to stop.
- Navigate to the VLC’s Videos folder to retrieve your new video file.
How to record network stream with VLC
If you’re a streamer, you’ll appreciate the ability to record a screen with VLC. It’s often useful to be able to go back and record your livestream after the fact so that you can make edits and/or upload it to other platforms. Likewise, if you have a home security camera or another recording device that uploads to the cloud, you may need to record the feed if you want to capture specific activity to share online, with your neighbors, or with the police. To record your stream, follow these steps:
- In VLC, click on the Media menu.
- Scroll down and select Open Network Stream.
- Open your preferred browser and copy the URL for your stream.
- Paste your stream URL into the Please Enter a Network URL box in VLC.
- Click the Record button to start and stop recording your stream.
- Go to VLC’s Videos folder to find your stream recording.
How to record a part of a video with VLC
Sometimes you may want to capture a part of a video to add a clip to a longer video project, such as a newscast or commentary video. You might also want to enrich a livestream or add to an online presentation. To record a part of a video with VLC’s record function, follow the steps above to enable the record button. Once you have your advanced controls selected, here’s how to record a specific clip of a video:
- Open your video in VLC media player.
- Use the timeline slider to navigate to the part of the video that you want to record.
- (Optional) If you need to select the exact point at which you start your video clip, you can use the Frame by Frame button. It’s the last button on the right of the Advanced Controls that enables you to use the Record button.
- Click Record.
- Click Play.
- When you reach the end of the clip that you want to record, click Record again to stop.
- You can find your video saved in the Videos folder.
Screen Video is an effective way to capture video and share it with friends and family. By using the right tools and tactics, you can make videos that are both interesting and popular on YouTube. In addition, making videos that look good and are easy to share can help you rank well in search engines. If you’re interested in learning more about how to make better videos with screen video, be sure to check out these helpful tips!