How to Record Your Laptop Screen With Audio
If you’re like most people, the thought of recording your laptop screen with audio is daunting. After all, it can be difficult to get your laptop screen to show on a live feed. But don’t worry— we’ve got you covered! In this guide, we’ll teach you how to record your laptop screen with audio and have it ready for playback in no time.
How to Record Your Laptop Screen With Audio
Want to capture your computer’s screen on record? You might be a businessperson who has to record your screen for a presentation at work, a software engineer doing a how-to video, or just a regular person who wants to post a useful YouTube video. There are numerous third-party screen-capture software available, but built-in facilities in Windows and macOS make it possible to record your screen activities. Here is a starting point.
Game Bar, an integrated feature of Windows 10, is made to record games that you play on your PC or stream from an Xbox console. But it can also quickly record screen activity from other programs. Go to Settings > Gaming > Xbox Game Bar and turn on the Enable Xbox setting to configure this.
The keyboard shortcuts for launching the game bar, capturing screenshots, and recording videos can all be modified from this page. Additionally, by pressing the Xbox button on an attached Xbox Controller, you can launch the Game Bar on your computer (Opens in a new window).
With the exception of the Windows desktop, File Explorer, and a few specific Windows applications, like Weather, you may record activity in the majority of programs and windows. To launch Game Bar, navigate to the screen you want to capture, then press Win + G. On the screen, a number of Game Bar widgets with controls for taking screenshots, making video and audio recordings, and broadcasting your screen activities are visible.
To record your screen activity, click the Start Recording button or press Win + Alt + R on your keyboard. Perform the screen actions you wish to capture right now. The Game Bar widgets are replaced with a little floating bar in the top-right corner of the screen, where you can control the recording, when you click on the screen.
Click the Recording button on the floating bar to halt the recording. An alert notifies you that the game clip was captured after the recording is finished. You can view your video in the Game Bar by clicking the notice. To start the video, click the Play button.
Go to Settings > Gaming > Captures to modify the Game Bar. From this point, you can alter the default video file location, enable background recording to record activity after the fact, choose to record both audio and video, and set the frame rate between 30 and 60 frames per second.
Click the Settings icon in the Game Bar itself, which is to the right of the top bar. To edit the shortcuts, alter the theme, adjust the widgets, enable background recording, and record audio along with the video, look through the many Settings sections.
How to Capture Screen Video in Windows 10
Record the Windows Screen with Xbox Game Bar
The Xbox Game Bar, which is a component of Windows 11 and Windows 10, provides a number of features aimed at enhancing your gaming experience, including easy access to Xbox chat and a glimpse into your CPU and GPU activities. Its ability to screen record MP4 films, whether you’re gaming or not, is its most valuable feature.
The Xbox Game Bar has one drawback: It can only record the screen of one application at a time and cannot record the Windows desktop or File Explorer. Therefore, you would need to gather a number of films if you wanted to demonstrate how to use an activity that involved several programs, such as creating a website in a code editor and then viewing it in a browser. And you can’t teach them how to use the Start menu or any other feature of the Windows 11 or 10 user interface. Use a different program, such as OBS, for those tasks; we’ll show you how to screen record using it later in this post.
1. Click into the app you wish to record.
2. Hit the Windows Key + Alt + R to start screen recording. A small recording widget showing how long you’ve been recording appears somewhere on the screen, most likely in a corner. You can also get here by launching the Xbox Gamebar (Windows Key + G) and then finding the capture widget, but the keyboard shortcut is much simpler.
3. Perform whatever actions you want and use your microphone to record audio. You can also mute the mic if you don’t want to capture any sound.
4. Hit the Windows Key + Alt + R again to stop screen recording. You can also hit the stop button on the widget You will get an alert that says “Game clip recorded. If you click on it, you will go into the Gallery section of the Gamebar app and be able to preview the video you captured. You can also find the MP4 file you recorded under your Videos/Captures folder.
Configuring Xbox Gamebar Screen Recording
While the default settings are probably fine for most people, there are a few options you can change.
1. Navigate to Settings->Gaming->Captures.
2. Change any of the following settings. Note that though they use the word “game,” the settings should apply to any app you record whether it’s a game or not.
- Record what happened (Win 11) / Background Recording (Win 10): this creates a 30-second (or greater if you change the settings) buffer of automatically recorded content. So if you are playing a game and just had an epic kill, you can hit Windows key + G to launch game bar and you can save the 30 seconds that just passed, even though you weren’t actively screen recording it. Note that the name of this setting is different in Windows 11 than 10, but the feature is the same.
- Max recording length: The amount of time after which screen recording will automatically shut off. I recommend leaving this at the default two hours.
- Capture audio when recording a game: By default, this records the sounds from your mic and the game itself, but excludes background sounds from Windows or your other apps. You can disable the audio recording entirely or enable it to record system sounds or change the balance.
- Video frame rate: defaults to 30 fps, but you can change it to 60 fps.
- Video quality: choose standard or high.
- Capture mouse cursor when recording a game: I recommend leaving this enabled, particularly if you are recording an app that is not a game.
Recording the Whole Screen with OBS Studio
The main disadvantage of utilizing the built-in Xbox Gamebar in Windows 10 or Windows 11 to screen record is that it can only be used with one app at a time and does not display the Windows desktop or File Explorer. You need a third-party tool to record your entire desktop and every window on it. While there are many options, we recommend OBS Studio for this.
OBS Studio is a favorite among game streamers because it’s cost-free and excellent at sending games to Twitch and other websites. Without ever streaming anything you do, you can also use OBS to capture the entire screen on Windows 11 and save it as an MP4 file.
1. Download, install and launch OBS Studio. When you launch OBS for the first time, if you haven’t already, you will be asked whether you want to optimize it for streaming or recording only. If you don’t plan to stream, choose “Optimize just for recording.”
2. Click the Plus icon under Sources to add a new source.
3. Select Display Capture.
4. Click Ok on the dialog box that pops up. You can give the source a name other than Display Capture if you’d like.
5. Choose a display and click Ok. If you have more than one monitor, this would allow you to have OBS on one screen while recording the activity on another. If you have only one monitor, there’s only one choice.
6. Click the Start Recording button in the lower right corner of the screen.
7. Minimize OBS if you are screen recording from the same monitor that OBS is on.
8. Click Stop Recording in OBS when you are finished.
By default, your screen recording videos will be located in the Windows 11 (or 10) Videos folder. They are stored, by default, in the .mkv file format. However, you can change the output to MP4 or MOV files by going to the Settings->Output menu in OBS.
How to Record Screen on Windows 11
On Windows 11, there are five quick and cost-free ways to record the screen. On Windows 11, the screen was captured using the Xbox Game Bar, OBS Studio, and Free Cam programs. The fifth technique comes directly from Microsoft in the form of a new software, while the fourth method will be particularly helpful for students. Expand the table below to see all the available options.
Even though Windows 11, or Windows 10 for that matter, do not come with a built-in screen recorder, you can easily capture the screen using the Xbox Game Bar. Although it is designed to record gaming sessions, you may also use it to record other windows. Only drawback is that it doesn’t
Record the Screen on Windows 11 with OBS Studio
OBS Studio is the finest screen recording software for Windows 11 if you are dissatisfied with Xbox Game Bar’s restrictions and want to record the Desktop and File Explorer without any limitations. It is a free and open-source tool that saves videos without watermarks and functions flawlessly. If you follow the instructions in the guide below, it will be simple for you to record the screen on Windows 11 despite OBS Studio’s intimidating appearance.
Record the Screen on Windows 11 with Third-Party App Free Cam
Free Cam is perhaps the best third-party program to capture the screen on Windows 11 if you want something straightforward. It does not tack on a watermark to screen recordings and is lightweight, free to use, and has a simple user interface. The software also has a video editor with a noise reduction tool. The fact that Free Cam exports films in WMV format is the only drawback I can see with it. MP4 not supported But here’s how to use Free Cam to screen record on Windows 11.
Record the Screen on Windows 11 with Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft PowerPoint can be used to record the screen on Windows 11 if you’re a student seeking for the simplest method. Students typically receive an Office subscription through their schools or institutions, so using this to capture the screen can be helpful. Here’s how you approach it.
Record the Screen on Windows 11 with Clipchamp
A native video editor called Clipchamp is now included with Windows 11, and it makes it simple to record the screen. In the Windows 11 Start menu, you will see a placeholder for Clipchamp if you are using the stable release. Even though Clipchamp is essentially a web app, it will be installed as a native app out of the box if you are running Windows 11 Dev version 22572 or later.
In addition to capturing the screen, it also allows you to add a webcam overlay (though it’s not required). Teachers who want to make tutorials for their pupils will find the webcam overlay to be of particular use. One of this Microsoft app’s minor drawbacks is that the free edition only allows for a 30-minute screen recording. Additionally, the free edition only allows you to export videos in 480p.
Best Screen Recorder Software with Audio
Screen Recorder – No Ads:
With the name suggesting its application, this new screen recorder application has gained immense popularity. This is the go-to screen recorder we would recommend for most people with extremely simple and easy UI and completely free of ads. With just a click of a button to start recording and a widget bar to control the actions.
The Application can record in HD Quality at a maximum of 60fps, comes with support for in-built audio recording and has an option for you to switch over to the microphone. The apps also allow users to add logos, images, and text and even add a face cam. The application also comes with essential tools such as Video Trimmer, Notes Maker and a lot more. Costing free, this is one of the best Screen Recorder Apps for Android.
AZ Screen Recorder:
One of the well-known screen recorder apps for Android, AZ Screen Recorder, is most likely most of you might have used or heard about it. With multiple functions similar to DU Recorder, AZ Screen Recorder provides loads of customisations and settings for recording your phone’s screen. The customisations come with resolution options ranging from 240p to 1080p, bitrates ranging from 1 Mbps to 12 Mbps, different frame rates from 24FPS to about 60FPS, and options to record internal, external audio and touches, and a countless number of settings. In addition, although users can also produce a time-lapse video of one’s screen, the app adds options to prevent accidental touches and shaking.
The app also offers an additional AZ Plugin which comes with a couple of new options like compressing and trimming videos, substituting audio, adding text over videos, effects and more. The app also offers a premium version that can be purchased and unlocks some more new options in the app. These additional features include the ability to pause and resume and a lot more.
Super Screen Recorder:
An utterly free but highly powerful screen recorder for Android Devices, Super Screen Recorder is an app that solely lets users record the screen and adds the options to record the audio related to it additionally. We also love the recording icons and the easy menu, which helps offer easy controls that are pretty easy to understand and use. It even comes with a note tool that permits you to mark areas or annotate the things on your screen, whereas recording the screen allowing users to unleash their creativity.
This feature makes it one of our favourite and one of the simplest screen recording tools for Android. The Super Screen Recorder also allows customisations like the resolution, and users can record the video from 240p and go as high as 1080p. Users will also be able to modify the bit rate and, the FPS and more. Overall, this is one of the best and easy to use screen recording apps we have checked out.
Mobizen Screen Recorder:
Similar to other apps on this list, Mobizen Screen Recorder has multiple options that make it a must-have app on your android device. Mobizen allows users to record in multiple resolutions from 240p to maxing out at 1080p, offers bit rate from 0.5 Mbps to maxing out at 12 Mbps, and also allows users to choose frame rates from 5 FPS to 60 FPS. The app also has in-built applications like a simple video editor, face cam options and furthermore.
Mobizen Screen Recorder app also has a new “Clean Recording” mode which, records a video without the watermark, without a maximum timer and more. With this mode, users will be able to change the logo from Mobizen to a custom one. This is a good add-on if you would like to record videos with your brand’s watermark. Although there are a few ads, these can be removed with an additional in-app purchase.
Recording your laptop screen with audio can be a great way to record your screen. It can also help you improve your workflow and reproduce your work. Additionally, recording your laptop screen can make it easier to do business in an effort to save time.