Word processors allow the user to type, format and edit text for various purposes. The best free word document program is open source software that supports WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface that allows users to see what their documents will look like before printing them out or saving them as PDFs.
Word processors allow users to type, store and edit text on computers. They can be used to create word documents and other types of files, like memos or letters. Some word processors are stand-alone programs while others are built in to larger office suites. There are also online programs that allow users to create documents through a web browser. Below is a list of the best free word processing programs available on the Internet.
Best for writers and digital content marketers to compose blogs, eBooks, and guides for free.
Focus Writer is one of the best free word processors for Windows and Linux operating systems. The application has a simple, distract-free interface so that you can remain focused on composing documents. It also displays live statistics regarding the word document.
- Compatible with Windows 7+ (64 bit only) and Linux (Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu)
- TXT, RTF, and ODT format
- Customizable templates
- Sound effects
- Timers, goals, and alarms
Verdict: Focus Writer is a nifty application for composing word documents. The application supports basic word document composing and editing.
Best for composing and collaborating on word documents for free.
Etherpad is a free basic word document application for Windows, Linux, and Mac applications. The software supports advanced word documents including custom styles, color, and fonts. It also supports online collaboration and commenting on word documents.
Verdict: Etherpad has a simple user interface that makes it great for creative stories and novel writing. Small businesses can also use the application for document composing and collaboration.
Best for personal and business users to create Word, PowerPoint, and spreadsheet documents for free.
SoftMaker FreeOffice is a full-featured and free word processing application. The software allows you to compose word documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It is compatible with MS Office applications and suitable for personal and business use.
- Supports Windows 7+, macOS 10.10+, Linux
- Compatible with MS Office Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ribbons and Classic menus
- Optimized for touch devices
Verdict: SoftMaker FreeOffice is one of the best free office suites. The application is optimized for touchscreens allowing you to seemingly create documents on touch devices.
Productivity-focused word processing with quick shortcuts
Operating system: WindowsTODAY’S BEST DEALSVISIT SITE
REASONS TO BUY
+Distraction-free interface+Supports markup+Handy keyboard shortcuts
REASONS TO AVOID
-Only works with TXT files
WriteMonkey is another no-frills word processor designed to help you maximize your output without fussing with editing and formatting. It’s not intended for documents like letters or CVs, but is great for committing early ideas to paper (or screen) so you have the raw material to develop later.
Unlike FocusWriter, which is compatible with all the most common text formats (including Microsoft’s DOC and DOCX), WriteMonkey only works with TXT files, so you’ll have to convert any works in progress before opening them. WriteMonkey’s hidden controls are trickier to navigate, too – everything is accessed via a large right-click menu, or a vast collection of keyboard shortcuts.Advertisement
That said, if you’re happy to commit those shortcuts to memory, you’ll find WriteMonkey faster to use than toolbar-based alternatives.
We also like the ability to look words up in Wikipedia, Google Images, Poetry.com, Answers.com, and many others without opening a browser winder manually and leaving yourself open to the temptations of Twitter and Facebook.
WriteMonkey is a portable app, so there’s no need to install it – just extract all the downloaded files to a removable drive or cloud storage service and fire it up by running the file WriteMonkey.exe.
MarketMuse is AI-powered platform that enables you to make content strategies and helps you to analyze numerous articles on demand. It can helps you to keyword research for your content.
- It offers a real-time text editor.
- This application can help you to find FAQs.
- MarketMuse allows you to generate the first draft and content brief.
- You can optimize content by entering URL or title.
- Supported platform: Web.
Calmlywriter is free writing software. The design of this program is minimal. This online application is design to help you to focus on your writing skills. It has a “focus mode” option that can highlight the paragraph you are writing.
- You can get the support of full-screen mode.
- It is simple to use.
- You can on or off typewriter sound.
- Supports syntax to format headers, bold, italics, as well as bullets.
- It allows you to use keyboard shortcuts.
- Spell check via a browser.
- It provides a word counter.
- You can export to PDF file.
- Supported platforms: Web and browser extension.
Ginger is one of the oldest writing enhancement tool. It is one of the best free word processor that will help you to correct text as you type, picking up many common grammatical errors like punctuation, sentence structuring, subject-verb agreement, writing style, and wording. Apart from the usual grammar, the checker offers a set of unique little features in it like text reader, translator, trainer, etc.
- Ginger software is well efficient Grammarly checker tool to detect misspelled words.
- It helps you correct all errors at once and allows you to undo all changes with just one click.
- This program allows you to do the switching between US and UK English languages.
- Ginger punctuation checker helps you to check punctuation mistakes in your content.
- You can add your words to the personal dictionary to consider them as errors in the future.
- Identify document errors and correct them.
- Spelling and grammar check.
- Help improve users’ English writing skills.
- Supported platform: Windows, iOS, Mac, and browser extension.
JotterPad – Writer, Screenplay, Novel
JotterPad is an Android application that is designed especially for writers. It has a plain text editor helping you to write books, poems, novels, essays, etc. The tool enables you to focus on converting your thoughts into a plain text file.
- You can quickly search for phrases.
- It supports Markdown (Text to HTML conversion tool).
- It allows you to count words.
- This tool helps you to control the version of the document.
- Write or edit the text in the cloud.
- Print or publish your work to PDF.
- It has a built-in dictionary to search for words.
- Supported platform: Android.
Evernote is an application designed for writing notes. This free word processing software helps you capture and prioritize your ideas, to-do lists, and projects across more than one computing device.
- You can move or remove the section of the page.
- It allows you to change the design of the paper.
- Erase unwanted strokes or marks.
- Enables you to highlight the color of the text.
- You can copy, cut, or paste selected shapes or strokes.
- Supported platform: Windows, iOS, Android, and Mac.
Best for composing Word documents for free.
OpenOffice Writer is dedicated word processing software. You can use the free word processor for composing and editing word documents. It supports both Doc and ODT formats.
Best for composing documents on Mac devices for free.
Apple Pages is the Mac word processing document that lets you create documents online on Mac devices. The app supports live collaboration between remote team members. You can select different free templates to create professional-looking documents for free.
Best for composing Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and email documents and sharing online.
Office Online is a paid version of MS Office that supports advanced functionalities. Purchase an annual subscription to use the program. The premium office app includes Word document, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Outlook, and 1TB cloud storage.
Price: Starts at $7 per month
Best for composing word documents on Linux devices.
AbiWord is a free word processor for Linux devices. It supports advanced word editing features such as tables, bullets, footnotes, endnotes, and images. The best thing about the software is the interoperability allowing it to open MS word documents, WordPerfect documents, RTF, HTML, OpenOffice, and many other formats.
SSuite WordGraph Editor
Best for composing documents on Windows, Mac, and Linux devices for free.
WordGraph is another free word processing document that supports both current and legacy operating systems such as Windows NT, 2000, and XP. The app can open RTF, DOC, TXT, RTC, and SSP files. You can also create PDF documents without installing a plugin.
Best for creating and collaborating on word documents for free.
Zoho Writer has a crisp, elegant workspace that allows you to focus on writing documents. The application has lots of value-added features, such as a free Writing Assistant for grammar and readability suggestions, feedback review, WordPress, and CRM integration.
A word processor is a computer program used for processing (writing, editing, formatting, and publishing) complex office documents. For example, a typical word processing program contains features such as spell checkers, grammar checkers, reference tools (such as dictionaries), and tools to create tables and indexes. Word processors can also take advantage of a wide variety of specialized formatting languages that simplify content creation tasks (such as HTML and XML), which are not supported by most general-purpose word processors but are supported by professional publishing software. Furthermore, many word processing programs can be used to create graphical presentations (like PowerPoint), make spreadsheets, create forms, and perform other types of functions that are unrelated to writing on paper.